It's that time of year when we have a hex shaft shortage - any workarounds?

We’re trying to get some spare hex shaft for this weekend because we’ve managed to run out (between intake damage and self-inflicted things). Usually we get the tapped 1/2" thunderhex, but it’s out of stock, and the other suppliers also seem to be out of hex shaft stock as well (and certainly all of the ones that can get to us in a short time for reasonable shipping costs).

We’ll probably resort to begging via pit admin if something breaks that requires a new long shaft, but does anyone have a favorite, inexpensive, workaround to patch two smaller shafts together to make a longer one in a low-load situation like an intake? I know there are shaft couplers but I’m trying to be cheap and avoid paying $40 to have a single one delivered. I’m guessing a couple of hubs placed together would do the trick but I’d like to hear other hex shaft hacks given the apparent global hex shaft shortage.

Do you have AndyMark churros laying around?

1 Like

https://www.mcmaster.com/89845K81

It’s 6061 not the 7075 teams are used to. We’ve also noticed sometimes it’s a bit of a tighter fit on FRC components, but we’ve made it work on our intake after we bent all of our andymark stock.

AndyMark also has steel hex in stock if you’re ok with the extra weight.

1 Like

In a low-stress situation you can use 1/2" churro. We did that to reduce weight in several places on our bot this year. They can be tapped as well and fit into all of the hubs, bearings, etc.

1 Like

Is there anything in the VersaRoller style? We run a lot on bushings riding on 7/8” round tube and tube connecting nuts from McMaster.

1 Like

For low load, you can tap the ends of two short pieces of hex and use a set screw to thread them together. I view this as a last resort. The hex flats will probably not line up and it will be a weak joint.

1 Like

bent pieces from intake v1, yes. :smiley:

We still have some 1/2" ThunderHex in stock. Also, there’s plenty of regular 1/2" hex (217-2753) in stock as well.

1 Like

Hmm, all I see is this under 1/2" Thunderhex…

1 Like

Refresh

Thank you. Got it.

1 Like