Ivan the Terrible Strike again!

Tropical depression Ivan dumped 6 inches of rain overnight and caused major flooding! I believe the pictures speak for them self.

I can’t say that the flooding was that bad in my area, but I was late for my Saturday science classes at Columbia University because the rain had shut parts of the subway down (how does that happen?)

its hurricane Max… anything can happen… The flooding doesnt look good at all… i dont think Ivan did anything like that in florida…

the way we are creating hurricane threads we should have a seperate subject section on chiefdelphi during the hurricane season… thats just a thought… :slight_smile:

STAY IN TUNE FOR MORE HURRICANES! :ahh:

I hope every one is fine. Yeah we got what’s left… stopped raining a couple hours ago. The Subways are for the most par underground and run off of a third rail. Water goes down to the lowest point, collects in the tunnel if it can’t drain quickly… the tracks get flooded. Even then all you need is a chance of their traction motors getting wet… wet motors = stopped train. Same goes with diesel locomotives which for the most part can be considered self generating units. Why steam locomotives were good… as long as the firebox is high and dry… the trains can get through.

:ahh: Wow, just unbelieveable. I came home from my place in Dallas, PA Friday evening and the water was rising continually. I have not yet left my safe mountain top here in Towanda. If I venture off in the morning, I will take the digi with me. Thanks for sharing those pics, best wishes Tigertrons on the clean-up detail. :eek:

The Susquehanna River is starting to recede. I thought that the Susquehanna and its tributaries would never flood like they did in 96. The river rose to that height over night and that’s not surprising because there was a torrential down-pour through out the whole night.Hopefully we won’t have to deal with another flood like this for a long time.

These are the pictures I took today. The roads in riverside park were completely covered in mud. The gazeebo got moved by the flood waters and the water was still very high at this point.

DSC00677.JPE.jpg
DSC00678.JPE.jpg
DSC00676.JPE.jpg
DSC00675.JPE.jpg
DSC00679.JPE.jpg

DSC00677.JPE.jpg
DSC00678.JPE.jpg
DSC00676.JPE.jpg
DSC00675.JPE.jpg
DSC00679.JPE.jpg

I see that your water has receeded a great amount. I’m worried for you, as we are still above our banks here north of you - more water coming your way, but it should stay in.

I’m heading back to Wilkes-Barre early tomorrow morning, if I get into the city, I will try to put up some pictures. I will also try to get up to Scranton and get pictures of the big hole in the road.