Jaguar boot error

Anyone having trouble with their LV code not running on after re-booting the cRIO? The target is set to startup and deployed to the cRIO, but the robot will not drive. We’re using Jaguars and they blink yellow on cRIO re-boot. We have noticed some sort of problem here regardless of which code we run or how we deploy. Even tried creating new projects using only default code. What’s weird here is that sometimes the download will work with the Jaguars going from blinking to steady! The robot will drive normally as well. We aren’t sure if this is a data comms error or a Jaguar error.

Any help appreciated,

MJ

This is follow up data on MJ’s post. This is from Scott Marshall. The “Fast Build” was a seven team build session on saturday jan 10.

“I have noticed several instances of the Jaguars not changing from blink to solid correctly on enable. Not just 1 robot, but we had 3 do it in Fast build, and 2 yesterday in the LabView programming. Team 462 also gave me a heads-up that they had trouble initializing their bridge (square wired/wireless on the robot).”

“All teams at the fast build following the instructions in the sections 1 thru 5 of the control systems manual. The issue is sporadic, and with the time I had could not troubleshoot the source of the anomaly. From blinking to solid there was no change in software download, so it couldn’t be the LabView error or compile. Typically the battery was cycled, sometimes both the driver’s station and robot. I do believe pretty strongly it is the communications to the Jaguar, so I hope that there is a fix in work. I just don’t know if it is internal to the Jaguar (like incomplete initialize upon powerup), at the output to the digital I/O card, or in the side car adapter.”

There’s no “communications to the Jaguar” as such. It’s a simple hobby-servo-style PWM signal from the Digital Sidecar.

I’d be focusing on the communication between the cRIO and the Driver Station, myself. When this problem occurs, what does the DS display show for the battery voltage?

MJ, in the instances where the code fails to run on reboot, are there any other symptoms?
In addition to the Jaguars indicating no PWM communication, is the DS status and the robot status LED on the Digital Sidecar indicating good communications?

As an additional diagnostic you might use Wind River to display the processes that are running on the cRIO.

If the DS/cRIO communication checks out okay and you believe the Jaguars alone are having a problem you should be able to verify by adding code that returns a status to confirm it’s running. For instance, blinking one of the solenoid module LEDs, like a heartbeat. The PWM cables and their contacts are a potential source of error for the Jaguars.

I’ve encountered one team here reporting similar symptoms, however, it appears to be isolated to their bridge as the problem disappeared when they reconnected the DS/cRIO directly. thereby eliminating the router/bridge.
I’m meeting with them tomorrow night to finish diagnosing that particular problem.

Thanks Alan and Mark,

With your suggestions, I did observe the digital side car, and cRIO were not in a stable state and focused on DS/cRIO comms today. Although I haven’t solved anything, the problem seems comms related. Once LV completes the download (when the dialog box closes), there is a time delay of up to 2 mins before all lights report a stable state. This delay sometimes is only about 30 seconds. I’m completing some additional diagnostics to better understand why this is happening.

Thanks,
MJ

I would say the 30 second delay is normal… I believe the cRIO needs to reboot, and it takes about 30 seconds to become ready. Team Fusion’s usually takes 15 to 30 seconds after downloading the code to become active.

The 2 minute problem is weird though. I would have to say it’s networking.

Thanks Alan and Mark,

With your suggestions, I did observe the digital side car, and cRIO were not in a stable state and focused on DS/cRIO comms today. Although I haven’t solved anything, the problem seems comms related. Once LV completes the download (when the dialog box closes), there is a time delay of up to 2 mins before all lights report a stable state. This delay sometimes is only about 30 seconds. I’m completing some additional diagnostics to better understand why this is happening.

Thanks,
MJ

Ok if you got this working sorry, but i figured i would chime in and let you know my experience.

• One i would check to make sure your digital sidecar is plugged into port 4 on the crio this is where it needs to be to work correctly.

• Make sure your pwm’s are plugged in correctly they will only work 1 way but will fit 2 ways. So make sure they are in the right way.

When the speed controllers flash that means the bot is disabled or the controller is not plugged in correctly. Let me know if any of that helps.

Sorry like i said if you got this answered i did not get a chance to read the whole thread above me. But if not i hope this helps.