Jaguar Slow Blinking Red Light.

On our robot, we accidentally switched the positive and negative wires so the positive from the PwrDB went to the negative terminal for the jaguar and negative from the PwrDB went to the positive terminal for the jaguar. when we turned our robot on, the PwerDB gave a red light for the slot to which the jaguars were connected.
The weird this is now when we try to use the jaguar to drive, it has the normal yellow flashing light until we give it a signal to drive. Then the light turns to a slow flashing red. We switch this jaguar with the working jaguar for the other side of the robot and the same thing. So we know this is a problem with a
jaguar. Opening the case of the jaguar reveals that nothing is damaged on the inside. So the question is, can we fix this or do we need to junk the jaguar?

Jaguar Status LED Codes:

LED State Module Status
Normal Operating Conditions
Solid Yellow: Neutral (speed set to 0)
Fast Flashing Green: Forward
Fast Flashing Red: Reverse
Solid Green: Full-speed forward
Solid Red: Full-speed reverse
Fault Conditions
Slow Flashing Yellow: Loss of servo link
Slow Flashing Red: Fault condition
Calibration Conditions
Flashing Red and Green: Calibration mode active
Flashing Red and Yellow: Calibration mode failure
Flashing Green and Yellow: Calibration mode success

It seems to me like some bad things happened to the jag’s innards. I’d suggest trying to get a RMA replacement for it. If not, it’s probably not wise to use it.

Similiar thing happened to us during build season last year. We tinkered with the Jags for a while but eventually replaced them for some new ones. I think you might as well look into replacing them now before build season starts as it took us around two weeks to get replacement ones.

Avoid doing that in the future, and order a new one. Who’s paying for that mistake?

To help avoid such mishaps in the future, paint a red dot on the Jag next to the positive terminal (assuming, of course, that you are using red wire for the positive power lead).

According to the MDL-BDC24 (black jag) specs, “The MDL-BDC24 does not have reverse polarity input protection.” So, I’d guess something nasty and permanent happened to the module.

The red blinking LED is indicating a fault, since polarity as reversed to the Jag any number of components may have blown. Most likely the body diodes on the H-bridge FET’s. The fact that the LED is indicating a fault tells me that the processor is still functioning, this is unusual due to the fact there is no reverse polarity protection for the voltage regulators powering the device either.

Bottom line: Your Jaguar is toast. The extent of the damage could be limited to the H-bridge or could be more wide spread. Contact TI and request an RMA, If I remember correctly the 2011 FRC rules allow for teams to repair their own Jags as long as no modifications are made to change the performance. This most likely will void any warranty from TI(I assume).

Lesson: ALWAYS check your wiring twice before connecting the batter, let alone hitting the breaker.

sometimes you learn by screwing up…

Had this happen to one of the jags on our practice robot.
Upon turning on the robot, it would flash yellow (per usual) until we enabled the robot and it would then start slowly blinking red.

Opened up the jag and the plastic fan power connector had apparently ‘shaken loose’ off of the PCB, exposing two headers.
I cut off the connector and soldered the fan wires directly onto the headers. It has been working fine since.

So, make sure you take a peek inside before you throw it onto your pile of dead jaguars.

ugh, i want victors. :slight_smile:

TI is somewhat vague on this point, but all indications are that an RMA request will most likely be denied (won’t hurt to make it anyways)

The 2012 Jaguar FAQ indicates:

Q16 Can reversed polarity on the power connections damage a Jaguar?
A Yes! Reverse polarity will damage the Jaguar and may void your warranty.

The Getting Started guide, however, says:

Reverse wiring is unprotected; doing so voids the Jaguar module’s warranty.

We avioded this problem by painting our screws black and red for negative and positive.