So, in our LabView project, we had a PVM channel hooked up to a jaguar, which was hooked up to a motor. It’s speed was controlled by the y-axis of a joystick, and activated by pressing a button. This all worked fine, but for hardware issues, our team leader changed the jaguar to a victor. I have not changed anything except changing the PVM driver from a jaguar sensor to a victor sensor, but now it does not work.
I think this is VERY debatable. There are advantages and disadvantages to each device. I do not know the exact statistics for my current team, but for my prior team I believe we were pretty much dead even for reliability* between Jaguar’s and Victor’s.
*Reliability also increases considerably when installed and powered correctly according to manufacturer specifications.
Program in LV must match the parts you have on the robot.
Both Victors and Jaguars work. We’ve experienced the same number of failures with both, but more reliability with Victors–we used 4 jaguars on one robot, and one of them died at a post-season demo. We’ve used 4 to 6 victors on our other 4 robots, and had one bad out of the box, and never any other failures.
Neither one has what I would consider sufficient markings on the terminals to prevent miswiring. These parts are used by students who often have little knowledge of the importance of wiring stuff up properly, and the implications of miswiring–they should have highly legible markings to help the user figure out instantly which terminal is positive, which is negative, and which side the motor connects to. The little painted screws don’t help at all if you have to remove them to install the wires!