Juggy

Posted by Deej- T190 at 03/21/2001 7:44 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompeii, from Mass Academy and WPI.

How exactly does the crane mechanism on juggy work? how reliable is grabbing big balls and holding on to them? Is the pick up and delivery fast? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Mike McIntyre at 03/22/2001 9:35 PM EST

Coach on team #1, Juggernaut, from Oakland Technical Center Northeast and 3 Dimensional Services.

In Reply to: Juggy
Posted by Deej- T190 on 03/21/2001 7:44 PM EST:

The boom is telescoping aluminum driven by a seat motor with rack & pinion, the gripper is incredibly strong and driven by a Globe motor (I was amazed when I first saw it: Ed Croswell,the head engineer at 3Dimensional Services, always manages to come up with some simple yet elegant solutions each year); the Globe has gears that mesh directly to teeth cut into the metal plate that the jaws mount to; the boom has a lead srew-driven lift that is painfully slow, but fortunately can be raised by the time we get over the bridge, so picking up balls is actually pretty quick: the winch is geared for speed (I’ve seen them pick up two large balls and score them onto goals that are already up on the bridge in @20 seconds from the time they cross the bridge). Is it reliable? We drove for 2 weeks in practice with pretty high reliability but at Western Michigan there was a series of nagging problems that seem to be corrected now: we’ll see tomorrow!

: How exactly does the crane mechanism on juggy work? how reliable is grabbing big balls and holding on to them? Is the pick up and delivery fast? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Deej- T190 at 03/23/2001 12:06 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompeii, from Mass Academy and WPI.

In Reply to: Re: Juggy
Posted by Mike McIntyre on 03/22/2001 9:35 PM EST:

You guys sound like one of the only teams out there that can put a big ball on top of the far balanced goal across the fence on the end zone side. Gompei 2k1(team 190) can also achieve this feat. If you guys get the chance this weekend in comp to put it on the far side, and can remember, take a pic and put it up, I’d love to see it.