Jury Duty

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet Bank.

Posted on 1/6/2000 7:14 PM MST

Well, I was greeted in the mail today with a call to County Jury Duty. For the month of FEBRUARY!!! Has any other advisor or coach had this happen to them during the ‘‘build season’’ before?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 1/6/2000 7:39 PM MST

In Reply to: Jury Duty posted by David Kelso on 1/6/2000 7:14 PM MST:

I think that Bill Beatty had jury duty during WEEK ONE of Ladder Logic.

In my opinion this is the least competitive robot that Beatty & Team Hammond ever built (though still a heck of a machine!).

For those who don’t know, they were #1 Seed at the Nationals their first year (Hexagon Havoc). They were very competitive & just ran into a few bad breaks on Saturday. In my opinion very easily could have been battling for the Title that year.

The next year, Torroid Terror, they won Chicago & the Nationals without hardly breaking a sweat (I still wake up a recurring nightmare every one and then in which I can see Son of Beatty putting that fully loaded topper on the goal in under 15 seconds and then going on to form tic-tac-toe after tic-tac-toe after tic-tac-toe…
…I tell you, it was frightening how good they were that year :slight_smile:

The next year, Ladder Logic, was the year Bill had jury duty during Week One. They had a machine that could hold 5 balls! It was awesome, but it was not as competitive they had been in other year.

As most folks know, they were back in form for 1999, Double Trouble, winning the Midwest & Great Lakes Regionals (with help from DaimlerChrysler-OSM Tech of course) and going on to the Semi-Finals at the Nationals. Beyond this, they won the Rumble At The Rock (though I have to admit that I thought that Raul, Dan & the Gang from WildStang had them in that Final Final Match – oh what a difference a 1/4 inch can make, eh?).

Beatty Beatty Beatty… Long live the king!

Joe J.

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 1/7/2000 10:56 PM MST

In Reply to: Ask Bill Beatty… posted by Joe Johnson on 1/6/2000 7:39 PM MST:

Thank you for the good words. All accolades are always welcome.

In 1998 I started jury duty the first week in January. In our county criminal court you could serve for as long as six weeks which would have overlapped all but the last week of the construction period. You would report early each Monday and then be assigned to a courtroom. Then in random order the selection process would begin until the panel was filled.

The first week I was sent to an attempted murder trial. During the screening process the defense attorney asked many of the prospective jurors what was their first reaction when opening the summons. All the candidates before me stated things like I felt honored’ and ‘it is my duty as a good citizen to serve’. I had my airline ticket to leave for Manchester that Friday morning and I was taught to tell the truth, so when he asked me the same question I stated ’ My first reaction was what is the best way to get out of this. Also, I really did not want to be there’. I figured that would do it! All of the other candidates were excused and I was selected. Before the panel was completed I approached the judge and informed him about my planned trip that Friday. It was felt that the trial would not be finished by then, so after some thought he excused me.

After returning from Manchester the following Sunday I was at it again early Monday morning. Same thing as before. I guess there was no reward for speaking the truth as I was picked for a murder trial which lasted the whole week. We were sequestered the last few days so I couldn’t even communicate with the team. Even worse was the problem of having to give the trial my undivided attention and not be able to spend any time even thinking about the competition. After deliberating most of the night Friday and all day Saturday we finally reached a verdict, and I got home Saturday for some much needed sleep. I finally met with the team Sunday evening and we were a week behind. Only good thing was because we we were sequestered and put in so much time we were excused from the remaining weeks for jury duty, so I could get on with our robot. It was one of those frustrating but also satisfying times in one’s life.

If you would like anymore bad advise, drop me an email.

Bill B

Posted by Raul.

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 1/8/2000 8:46 AM MST

In Reply to: Guilty or Not Guilty posted by Bill Beatty on 1/7/2000 10:56 PM MST:

I heard that if you are a member of the NRA they will dismiss you every time.

Raul

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 1/8/2000 2:45 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Guilty or Not Guilty posted by Raul on 1/8/2000 8:46 AM MST:

Raul

I had heard that also. It didn’t work for either trial that selected me. I am not a gun nut, however I am fasinated by the mechanics and engineering in semi and full automatic weapons and therefore have some very interesting examples. I played it up as much as I could, but it didn’t work.

It looks to me that Wildstang has the First 2000 machine pretty much in the can. ready to go. You guys will be very tough.

Bill B

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alum from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 1/11/2000 12:56 PM MST

In Reply to: Jury Duty posted by David Kelso on 1/6/2000 7:14 PM MST:

Wow…um…that shall we say inhales audibly :wink: Perhaps your first brainstorming session with the team can tackle the problem ‘How do we get Mr. Kelso excused from Jury duty.’

Best of Luck,

Justin

Posted by Jerry Eckert.

Engineer from Looking for a team in Raleigh, NC sponsored by .

Posted on 1/11/2000 1:16 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Jury Duty posted by Justin on 1/11/2000 12:56 PM MST:

: Wow…um…that shall we say inhales audibly :wink: Perhaps your first brainstorming session with the team can tackle the problem ‘How do we get Mr. Kelso excused from Jury duty.’

The powers that be may be more inclined to honor a request for deferment rather than outright excuse.