Keyang Motor Thermal breaker.

Posted by Rod Prather.

Engineer on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian High School and Rolls Royce.

Posted on 11/9/2000 11:22 AM MST

According to the app notes, the keyang motors have a self resetting circuit breaker. Are there any parameters for this breaker? Ex: time required to reset, current vs time, max stall loading. It appears that although the motor has a stall current of 20 amps, it won’t sustain a stall for any period at all. We have a motor that is popping this breaker at about 50% to 60% loading for only 15 seconds. (guess not measured)

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 11/9/2000 12:15 PM MST

In Reply to: Keyang Motor Thermal breaker. posted by Rod Prather on 11/9/2000 11:22 AM MST:

I have not observed a wide variation in trip times from motor to motor.

Basically the breakers trip based on the temperature of the motor which is a function of the ambiant temperature and the amount of heat you put into it. The heat you put into it is basically I squared R heating.

More current for more time means more heat to dissipate.

My experience is that if you are asking the motors to do too much (specifically working too close to stall conditions), the breakers overheat too fast.

That said, there is often a fine line in these FIRST-type competitions between asking for too much and asking for enough to win!

You will have to decide where that line is.

Good Luck.

Joe J.