Kickoff Overview: Strategies for a Successful Weekend

A little late to the game here, but better late than never:

Over the summer I began compiling slides covering ways teams approach a new game on Kickoff weekend. I got really busy with the new team and just recently got them to a “finished” point. These slides primarily highlight methods I am most familiar with and prefer, but also document several other successful methods from teams.

Quite literally every team is very different, and my intention is not to produce a copy & paste Kickoff approach, but rather to compile a whole bunch of ideas for teams to take pieces of and build on.

Kickoff Overview: Strategies for a Successful Weekend

These are the areas that are covered in the slides:

1. Before Kickoff
  2. Rule Review
  3. Robot Actions
  4. Robot Archetypes
  5. Game Simulations
  6. High Level Strategy
  7. Priority List
  8. Mechanism Brainstorm

Big thanks to @Connor_H @saikiranra @Karthik and @LukeBronx for helping me get this project to the finish line :slight_smile:

48 Likes

Amazing presentation Shelby! I plan on reviewing this with my team this week, and will compare it to our current kickoff plans.

2 Likes

This is the single best resource for kickoff methodologies I have seen to date. It does an incredible job of not only laying out potential ways you can do things, but also gives really well thought out reasoning behind it all and isn’t just a “one size fits all” guide. We are using parts of this for our kickoff this year and are recommending it to other teams at every chance we can. Thanks Shelby for putting it together, any team that reviews this will be better off than where they started.

-Connor

5 Likes

Your slideshow game is amazing!

4 Likes

Sending this to my team. Shelby, you’re the GOAT!

1 Like

Cannot recommend this resource enough! This has been super helpful on 498, setting us up for success!

1 Like