Kickoff--who's going??

Posted by Kate at 12/21/2000 11:18 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

So who all is going?? Who’s going as team representatives and who’s going to volunteer??

Personally, I’m volunteering… I absolutely can’t wait to go… It’s going to be an absolute blast… Not to mention that we’re having a ‘little’ get together at my place the night before… A bunch of my buds that are volunteering with me (and maybe even some team reps) are going to crash at my place so we can have a bit of FIRST fun before the insanity starts… And my mom even approves of it… Though I’m not sure if she knows how many people I’m expecting to be crashing here… But that’s besides the point… :smiley: So if you’re in the area (I’m 15 minutes from Kickoff), and you’re going to be at kickoff… Feel free to join us… You’ll have a blast… Just make sure you bring a sleeping bag or something… My basement isn’t all that warm… But it’s all good… :slight_smile: So, let me know if you’ll join us for some fun on the night before kickoff… :slight_smile:

T190 XO
(Anti)Kate

Posted by Ken Leung at 12/21/2000 12:10 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Kickoff–who’s going??
Posted by Kate on 12/21/2000 11:18 AM EST:

: So who all is going?? Who’s going as team representatives and who’s going to volunteer??

I am going as a representative of my team. It’s my first AND last time, and I am getting really exciting. Hope to see most of you there.

I will probably need some help getting through the kick-off without wasting any time sitting in the room because I have no idea what the kick-off is going to be like… and I want every second of my time well-spent at this trip to the east coast.

Posted by colleen at 12/21/2000 12:19 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

i’m going and have claim to my spot on kate’s floor! :stuck_out_tongue:

it definitely is a blast… can’t wait to see y’all as we’re getting paper-cutted away checking people in at registration, etc…

a o’course… at the small quaint gathering in Dean’s humble abode as well…

10 years later it promises to be a good one! Good luck to all and safe travels :wink:

T190 Crew Leader…woohoo
colleen

Posted by Jason Rudolph at 12/21/2000 3:04 PM EST

Other on team #459, Rampage, from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

I’ll be there too, as a volunteer. See ya there!

Jason

Posted by Andy Baker at 12/21/2000 3:05 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Two TechnoKats (Paul Norris and I) will be getting into Manchester around 8:30pm on Thursday and staying at the Center of NH Holiday Inn.

Although Delphi would appreciate the cost savings, we probably better not crash on Kate’s basement floor.

See ya there!

Andy B.

Posted by Matt Leese at 12/21/2000 4:28 PM EST

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

Ooooh. I get to be there. I get to be team repping for 73. And given that I have no idea when we’re getting there, I won’t comment on the party. :slight_smile:

Matt

Posted by Robby at 12/21/2000 5:00 PM EST

Other on team #108, The SigmaC@Ts, from AIFL and Motorola.

Yep, he is. That’s right, I’ll be there with my dad giving free uni lessons to one and all. Now, if only i knew someone who had two spare party tix… hmmm…

-Robby O, of team 108

PS: Some shameless plugging here. Head over to http://sharingfirst.mit.edu/users/oshortwan/ and check out my new corner of the web. All of my wackiness in life will go digital over the next couple of months as i prepare everyone for what i hope to be something to help first… that is if i ever get around to it. Go check it out now! What’s more fun than being a vouyer to seven castaways on tv? being a vouyer into the life of a fellow first mate! Updates are on a daily basis.

PPS: I misspelled vouyer, didnt i?

Posted by Lora Knepper at 12/21/2000 6:47 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

I’ll be there as a volunteer and crashing over at the Kelso’s…assuming of course they still want me ;o)

And this also has me ask the question…is there any team from MA that has room for an extra FIRST nut going up? I still don’t have a ride, and I’m really wishing I knew how to drive at the moment… ;o)

Lora
T419

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 12/21/2000 9:14 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Volunteer!! PS … anyone have extra room going up??? g
Posted by Lora Knepper on 12/21/2000 6:47 PM EST:

: I’ll be there as a volunteer and crashing over at the Kelso’s…assuming of course they still want me ;o)

I’ll be volunteering as well, just look for the girl with the massive dark brown curls…if you see me at Kickoff, PLEASE say hi to me! I love meeting people, especially people that Ive been talking to on the net for a long time!

Lora, you are not backing out on me with staying at the Kelsos…you promised to take the tour (::grin::slight_smile: with me of their house since ages 21 & under can’t go to Dean’s!

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Kate at 12/21/2000 9:40 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

In Reply to: Volunteer!!
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 12/21/2000 9:14 PM EST:

What are you talking about if you’re under 21 you can’t go to Dean’s?! I’m not understanding this concept… I went last year… I’m not 21 now so I definitely wasn’t 21 then…

Lora and Jess… Just to let you know… I invited Kristen and whomever is crashing at her house to come crash at my house… I figure the more the merrier!!

T190 XO
Kate

: I’ll be volunteering as well, just look for the girl with the massive dark brown curls…if you see me at Kickoff, PLEASE say hi to me! I love meeting people, especially people that Ive been talking to on the net for a long time!

: Lora, you are not backing out on me with staying at the Kelsos…you promised to take the tour (::grin::slight_smile: with me of their house since ages 21 & under can’t go to Dean’s!

: -Jessica B, #237

Posted by Lora Knepper at 12/22/2000 12:49 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

In Reply to: huh?
Posted by Kate on 12/21/2000 9:40 PM EST:

: What are you talking about if you’re under 21 you can’t go to Dean’s?! I’m not understanding this concept… I went last year… I’m not 21 now so I definitely wasn’t 21 then…

Kate,

I got an email from Tammy Trimble at FIRST that says that this year they are not allowing anyone under 21 to go to the party…believe me, Anton has been harassing them all up there trying to be allowed to go. It has to do with liability with alcohol and all that. As for the mega party over your place, well, that’s totally up to Kristen…if she goes, I will follow :o) Either way I’ll see ya at kickoff.

~ lora

Posted by Justin Stiltner at 12/23/2000 12:16 AM EST

Student on team #388, Epsilon, from Grundy High School and NASA, American Electric Power, Town of Grundy.

In Reply to: The Official word is no one Under 21…
Posted by Lora Knepper on 12/22/2000 12:49 PM EST:

WHAT!!!
I cannot go to kickoff because of $$$ problems but I would think that Dean wouldent exclude the ‘kids’ from the party… After all FIRST is for the ‘kids’

On a side note I couldent belive that he would allow alcohol at the party.

Justin Stiltner
Team #388
Epsilon
Grundy Va,

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 12/23/2000 8:31 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Re: The Official word is no one Under 21…
Posted by Justin Stiltner on 12/23/2000 12:16 AM EST:

Yeah, I know, thats how I felt about it, too…but I recieved basically the same email from FIRST, and not from Tammy, so there must be validity to the claim. I think it’s rather pointless to have alcohol at the party, but, c’est la vie.

See you all at Dean’s house for Kickoff 2005.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Justin Stiltner at 12/23/2000 5:27 PM EST

Student on team #388, Epsilon, from Grundy High School and NASA, American Electric Power, Town of Grundy.

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 12/23/2000 8:31 AM EST:

: Yeah, I know, thats how I felt about it, too…but I recieved basically the same email from FIRST, and not from Tammy, so there must be validity to the claim. I think it’s rather pointless to have alcohol at the party, but, c’est la vie.

: See you all at Dean’s house for Kickoff 2005.

: -Jessica B, #237

I have a few issues with drinking at a party such as this. IF the team rep. has youth with them at all (evean if they are not at the party) I woulent think that thay would want to drink. But more importantly they SHOULDENT be drinking because they are on a team-school funded trip and as such I would think that they must follow the same guidlines as if they were in the classroom… and what school system would allow the teacher to drink in the classroom or come to school after drinking. If this was Deans idea I would really think less of him. This to me is apauling. I know that if our school board found out that one of the persons on a school-team funded trip was drinking that person would be serously repremanded if not dismissed. This just really makes me mad.

Justin Stiltner
Team #388
Epsilon
Grundy Va,

ICQ# 26602356

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 12/23/2000 6:02 PM EST

Posted by Justin Stiltner on 12/23/2000 5:27 PM EST:

But…from what I could discern in my 30 seconds in the VIP tent at Nats (dropping off stuff for Dean), there was an open bar there as well (as well as fountain, big screen tvs with a top view of each field, and a wooden desk for the Disney rep to watch who came into the tent).

I dont know, I think its pointless, but, if a lot of people feel the same way, then you know what to do. :slight_smile:

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by KeithL at 1/8/2001 5:37 AM EST

Other from Working On That.

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 12/23/2000 6:02 PM EST:

test message

Posted by Joshua Berthiaume at 12/28/2000 11:45 PM EST

Student on team #146, Power Knights, from Manchester West High School and FCI.

Posted by Justin Stiltner on 12/23/2000 5:27 PM EST:

It is an adult party they should be able to drink if they want, there adults their allowed to have that privledge, and adult rep from a team can choose not to drink alcahol and still enjoy the party. And not letting kids goto an adult function is fine, because it is an adult function.

~Josh
Team 501

Posted by colleen – T190 at 1/3/2001 2:31 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: The Official word is no one Under 21…
Posted by Lora Knepper on 12/22/2000 12:49 PM EST:

I would say regarding this issue… that FIRST has said they want ‘adults’ at the kickoff and not students… often the implication of ‘adult’ is above the age of 21… I don’t think it’s wrong of them to not allow the high school volunteers to go since no other high schoolers are allowed in as representatives… that’s only fair…

and as josh said, it’s an adult pary… no a student one… and whatever they so choose to do… or Dean to do… it’s not bad… and I don’t think any less of ANYONE for it…

Posted by Nate Smith at 12/21/2000 7:14 PM EST

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

As long as Kate and Colleen don’t forget to pick me up at the airport, I’ll be there… =)

Nate