Kinda stupid question...

I keep telling our team to use 0 instead of 1 in the code for this very reason. :smiley: Since a 0 in electronics terms is a hole. :smiley:

I really like how this thread, while “silly” / “not serious”, involves students taking wild ideas and doing calculations to figure out how or why they’re unfeasible. Applying what you’ve learned to challenge even the most sensible conventional wisdom is something great to get used to doing. I wish I did it more often.

You never know when you’ll run the math for something you’re convinced you’ll never work. Just a few days ago, the team was convinced that the tension needed in a piece of string would not be generated by a window motor powered winch, since it was so hard for a human to do. If any of us ran the numbers to challenge rather obvious seeming conventional wisdom, we’d have known a week ago what we know now.

How much weight is needed to make a chassis airtight? Weatherproofing Lexan shields, and making a hinged weatherproof door should get you close enough, assuming the design was within the rules (it isn’t).

If you really want to use a fluid density change to make your robot lighter… just remove the fluid.

You need to pull a vacuum…

that would eliminate all of the air…
Unfortunately… do beef up your robot to do this would put it overweight …
by a HUGE amount…

As an aside… I wonder if all of our equipment would work in a vacuum?

I know that some interesting things would happen to all of the pneumatics…

:yikes:

doodling during the kickoff webcast back in January…Steve reminded me that I took a picture of this

Popular myth about the famous accident associates hydrogen with the disaster. All that flame you see is from OTHER things burning. A spark inside a pure hydrogen vessel will not ignite anything. If the gas leaked out, it would escape the area by being pushed aside by in-rushing heavier gas (air) so the igniting spark would have to be very close to the leak to cause problems. Is there a Mythbusters episode about this?

BTW, German engineers knew full well of the flammability dangers of hydrogen but were prevented from using helium by a U.S. embargo that prevented selling the safer gas to Germany.

As long as you keep the hydrogen concentrations above 95% or below 2% (IIRC) hydrogen won’t ignite. It’s used in electrical generators (think ConEd, city-sized generators) under positive pressure to dissipate heat from the internals because hydrogen is more thermally conductive than air. Crazy, right?

Using it to loose weight on a robot is just silly.

Yep, there is. I’ve seen it. I just checked the schedule; should be on again on 3/6; time listed as 5 ET/PT.

What they figured out with several models was that neither the cover nor the hydrogen was fully responsible. Both of them were culprits. Hydrogen made the cover burn better; the cover makes the hydrogen burn better.

not to mention, that when it burns, it creates water that’ll short out your robot

but won’t the water put the fire out? :stuck_out_tongue:

/sarcasm