King of Mountain Robots

for those of you who are making the king of the mountian bots or combinations that have this strategy how big are your Arms/Wings/Walls going to be, such as height and width.
im wondering because our ideas seem to be going down the drain based on weight and cost of the materials

*Originally posted by Mini-Mullet *
**for those of you who are making the king of the mountian bots or combinations that have this strategy how big are your Arms/Wings/Walls going to be, such as height and width.
im wondering because our ideas seem to be going down the drain based on weight and cost of the materials **

Let it keep going, Our walker/Wheel Drive Winged king of the hill bot, as of 10:20PM in Pro-E using weight computing function weighs a grand total of 160!!!Pounds, WE can change the design this late, we just have to build it then start drilling to take out weight.

It is designed to expand to 11.5 feet, and each wing can be seperatly lifted and lowered. See my signature for an explination
V
V
V
V
V

That information isn’t going to be given out from us. But contact me via PM and i’ll try and help out with a wieght-efficiant simple design that you can alter the heck out of.

By the by:
Mark Setrakian

MY team didn’t want to build one but we came up with the design for one so that we would know what we would be going up against. It had wings that were 9 feet wide. That left 1.5 feet on each side. To small for a robot to get through. It also had braces so that it could be pushed at an angle and thus pushed out of the way. It would have owned the bridge. But stacking is sooo much more fun.

Why go for 11.5? It seems like 10 feet is sufficent because few if any bots can squeeze through a foot path. I haven’t done the math but if your 11.5ft wide and you get twisted up there will you touch both sides?

*Originally posted by The wheelman *
Let it keep going, Our walker/Wheel Drive Winged king of the hill bot, as of 10:20PM in Pro-E using weight computing function weighs a grand total of 160!!!Pounds, WE can change the design this late, we just have to build it then start drilling to take out weight.

drill out the weight? didnt 166 have major problems from dilling too much weigt out last year

just be careful where you drill, our engineers in 2001 drilled our wheel mounts, and then at competition we snapped 2 of them off. And since then we hve snapped the reparied versions of those 2 wheel mounts off again. (which is why at river rage in 2002 we had 2wheels, instead of the 4 we had when we came to merriack on the 4th of july for the demo)

*Originally posted by sevisehda *
**Why go for 11.5? It seems like 10 feet is sufficent because few if any bots can squeeze through a foot path. I haven’t done the math but if your 11.5ft wide and you get twisted up there will you touch both sides? **

Unless a piece gets broken off and is hanging, no an 11.5’ bot won’t ever touch both sides. It would twist in a rough circle with a diameter of 11.5’. This would never be able to touch both sides at once.

hehehe…who neds wings?

Yea…about that 160 pound thing… well you see in Pro-E you have to give a density to all the metals and parts, and well…, some of them were set at 1 instead of regular aluminium which is .097, so a 3x2x5 piece of tube weighed something like 5 pounds, this has all been fixed and now the robot, with out controls and one wing weighs 97 pounds, so yea… sorry about that…hehe

*Originally posted by Gadget470 *
**Unless a piece gets broken off and is hanging, no an 11.5’ bot won’t ever touch both sides. It would twist in a rough circle with a diameter of 11.5’. This would never be able to touch both sides at once. **

wouldn’t having an 11 1/2 foot wingspan be bad? If someone rams you at the tip of the arm, it would be extremely easy for them to spin you around.

I can guarantee you that any creators of any kind of king-of-the hill robot will have thought about this issue- they’ll either have friction brakes, suction cups, or something of the like

i just have to say that if you dont knock all the boxes to one side and then stay on hill, there is little point to a king of the hill bot. stacking wins matches.

Stacking will be like the black balls of 2000. It seems like a lot of points but its not the deciding factor. In 2000 hanging was the key. This year a ramp dom can score 25 and prevent 50 thats a 75 point sway. They also prevent boxes from going back up over the ramp. Stacking is to risky. If you spend a minute making a stack of 10 someone can hit you/the stack and all of a sudden its gone. Meanwhile the ramp dom is parked on the ramp waiting for the clock to run out. So if Red is stuck on the far side and red human players put a stack of 4 and 4 on the floor that 16 for red. While a blue ramp dom has 25 points. Red no HAS to move boxes over the bar and stack them while the other blue just causes havok and prevents a stack on any magnitude.

*Originally posted by Quentinfool *
**i just have to say that if you dont knock all the boxes to one side and then stay on hill, there is little point to a king of the hill bot. stacking wins matches. **

Not necessarily… If the boxes are removed from the playing field (i.e. pushed/carried out) bridge points could matter. If a bridge blocker can take its alliance partner on the bridge with him they have 50 points. If the partner is good at removing boxing it could be very difficult to defend the 15 boxes needed to win (especially because you can’t have just one stack).:cool:

As a strategist, I hereby predict the winning alliance this year to be the bridge blocking/box removing pair illustrated above (somebody remember where this is so we can find it again and see how good I am:) ).

Anybody care to disprove? (No, seriously, is this legal?:confused: )

I am wating to see a robot spread out to over 10’ that can stop a charging high traction (tracked or multiple wheeled drive) robot out on its wingtips. My guess is that the plastic top will be a mess after the first day and suction will become less and less effective quickly. I am sure someone will have some neato tricks to stay planted up there but I just can not see how a wingspan at that large with only 130 lbs total will be able to resist a brute force attack on it.:confused:

if it can be done on carpet, i am sure that someone will find a way to do it on plastic. think of taht lovely huge suction cup they gave us.

O.K.,

This is the perfect time to bring up a Mountain Dew Wager.

First, my position on the subject:

While I agree that an effective stacker might be hard to come by, it is not quite the black balls of 2000. The biggest difference: The 2000 black balls were only worth 5 points and stacks are multipliers. Look back in FIRST history. When were multipliers not a factor? Could this be the first time the multiplier will not make the difference?

My wager is that the multiplier will be the difference, but that 25 point robot position does put some doubt in my head.

I think that to be an effective ramp dominator, you will need to spend your entire life on the ramp and that basically makes it a 2 v. 1 game. And make no mistake that there will be robots very effective at relocating bins from one side to the other without using the ramp (Chief Delphi, this is my prediction for one of your functions). While I agree that there probably will be a few robots capable of taking control of the top of the ramp, they will be doing that the whole match.

Any takers? I say the multiplier will be the difference again this year.

-Paul

*Originally posted by Paul Copioli *
Any takers? I say the multiplier will be the difference again this year.

-Paul **

Paul,
I’m in.

I say the ramp position will be the key thing this year.
Except, I’m not a Dew fan… I’ll take rootbeer… haha.

I don’t think stacking is the key. I think drumroll going under the bar is going to be the key. I like Mountain Dew, in fact, Team 706 runs off of Mountain Dew, so I won’t mind taking one from you, and we will have plenty in the unlikely case you actually win :smiley: See ya at Midwest!

O.K,

That’s 1 rootbeer and 1 Mountain Dew for me. Anyone else?

Do I stand alone in my belief that stacking is the key?

-Paul