The kit chassis flex isn’t limited to just mecanum. Using two 8" kit rubber treaded wheels in front, and two 8" kit plastic treaded wheels in back, our wheel supports flexed and bent enough for our chain to pop off 3 matches in a row.
Everything seemed to work fine for our first 5 matches, no issues with chain or driving. After that 5th match, and what we now suspect was a rather fast/hard landing while traversing the bump, we noticed our drive chains started losing tension. We tried compensating by raising our idler shafts to maintain proper tension, but during each of our next 3 matches, the chain still popped off within the first 30 seconds. We even tried removing a link, and tensioning to the point where it was almost too tight, but the chain still managed to fall off.
During this process, we noticed our front right side wheel axle wasn’t straight. Looking closer we saw the outside of the wheel support had bent towards the center of the frame by almost half an inch. We managed to straighten it as best we could, but in the next match the chain popped off again, and the wheel support was bent in the same direction, after carefully and slowly driving over the bump. We’re actively working on a method of reinforcing the wheel supports to keep this from happening again at the Connecticut Regional, and some form of c-channel between the axle and frame seems to be the quickest, lightest, and most durable solution. If we have enough time, we may try to design entirely new wheel supports, with a more reinforcing angle between the wheel axle and the center of the frame.