KSC Regional Championship

Posted by Paul Dickman at 03/05/2001 10:15 AM EST

Coach on team #312, Heat Wave, from Lakewood High School and Baxter Healthcare of Tampa Bay.

Team 312 wishes to extend our sincere thanks to our alliance partners teams 57, 343, 358, and 459. Our performances in the final rounds epitomizes the importance of cooperation. Thank you team 343, your ability to help us balance 2 goals on the bridge in under 1 minute was great. Thank you teams 57 and 358, was it not for your ability to go under the rail to the end zone, we would not have won. Team 312 certainly appreciates everyone’s contribution in the final rounds. Team 312 looks forward to allying with you again at the Nationals.

Posted by Hannah at 03/05/2001 10:19 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and NYPRO.

In Reply to: KSC Regional Championship
Posted by Paul Dickman on 03/05/2001 10:15 AM EST:

How was the round choreagraphed and what was your score? Congradulations on your win!

Posted by Paul Dickman at 03/06/2001 10:07 AM EST

Coach on team #312, Heat Wave, from Lakewood High School and Baxter Healthcare of Tampa Bay.

In Reply to: Re: KSC Regional Championship
Posted by Hannah on 03/05/2001 10:19 PM EST:

Thanks! We were very fortunate to have alliance partners with different abilities. Teams 57 and 358 could very effectively go under the rail and in to the end zone. Team 343 handles a goal in a fashion similar to our robot. Basically we were able to grab a big ball on the far side, put it on the goal, grab the goal and move it over the bridge so that the bridge flip back to the starting side. team 343 grabbed the start side goal, loaded it with balck balls, and then pushed the goal onto the bridge while we backed-up our goal until both goals were balanced on the bridge. Teams 57 and 358 moved to the end zone along with our robot. All of this was done in less than 60 seconds= 490 points in the final round.

Posted by Jared at 03/07/2001 6:19 PM EST

Student on team #312, Heatwave, from Lakewood High and Baxter.

Posted by Paul Dickman on 03/06/2001 10:07 AM EST:

I too would like to give thanx to my teacher, Mr.Dickman, the people of Baxter and too all my fellow students who helped us get this, our second consecutive win, at the KSC Regionals. Hats off to our operators and to Ryan of team 343, Great job on pulling us together as a team. Cya all at Nationals!

Posted by Paul Dickman at 03/06/2001 10:07 AM EST

Posted by Hannah on 03/05/2001 10:19 PM EST:

Thanks! We were very fortunate to have alliance partners with different abilities. Teams 57 and 358 could very effectively go under the rail and in to the end zone. Team 343 handles a goal in a fashion similar to our robot. Basically we were able to grab a big ball on the far side, put it on the goal, grab the goal and move it over the bridge so that the bridge flip back to the starting side. team 343 grabbed the start side goal, loaded it with black balls, and then pushed the goal onto the bridge while we backed-up our goal until both goals were balanced on the bridge. Teams 57 and 358 moved to the end zone along with our robot. All of this was done in less than 60 seconds= 490 points in the final round.

Posted by Paul Dickman at 03/06/2001 10:31 AM EST

Posted by Paul Dickman on 03/06/2001 10:07 AM EST:

Oops, Sorry I must be dyslexic today, team 538 was our partner, not 358. My apologies to the Dragon Slayers.

Posted by Mike Sklar at 03/06/2001 12:15 PM EST

Engineer on team #21, ComBBAT , from Astronaut H.S. and Titusville H.S. and Brevard Community College and Boeing Company and NASA-KSC.

In Reply to: KSC Regional Championship
Posted by Paul Dickman on 03/05/2001 10:15 AM EST:

Hail to Heatwave for their KSC win. For those of you who have not figured it out yet (Joe Johnson has!)Heatwave is one of the most competitive teams year after year. They have actually been in the competition for 8 years with various sponsors. I’m sure they get tremendous support from the Baxter Corp plant in Tampa. But the driving force and constant on their team, all these years, is their teacher/coach Paul Dickman! I have never been to an event (in the last 4 years) that Heatwave did not have a competitive machine and incredible/intense drivers. For those of you who think a teacher, and a handful of dedicated kids cannot create a winning FIRST team, look again. Hat’s off to a great team and a truly dedicated teacher setting an example for us all.

Posted by Paul Dickman at 03/07/2001 2:29 PM EST

In Reply to: Hail to Heatwave (#312)their legacy, and their humble teachr
Posted by Mike Sklar on 03/06/2001 12:15 PM EST:

: Thank you Mike for your very kind words. I must however, give all of the credit to the wonderful people that I work with. My kids are the absolute greatest. Their hard work, enthusiasm and pride makes all of the difference. I also must give my heartfelt thanks to our sponsor Baxter. The people at Baxter epitomize the spirit of FIRST. Every year they unselfishly volunteered countless hours of their time and expertise to help my kids build a robot. They have always promoted a “hands-on” approach involving my students with the design, development, and construction of our robots. The end results were never robots “built” merely by Baxter but robots built by a partnership of students and Baxter personnel. The bottom line is that they truly care about my kids.