Labview

Everyone know how we got labview this year?
If anyone needs help with it, contact me, [email protected], we used it last year (motherboard included) on the robot, so we are pretty in tune with it.
GO PVC PIRATES!

You mean you used the Camera last year? Did you really use LabVIEW last year? How?

-Danny

We actually mounted a motherboard, actually to be specific an MSI k8t Micro ATX board, powered it through the battery, and we were able to send data to the RC through hyperterm. The camera we used was an apple iSight.
If you want some more info, I would love to share, just ask!
Sincerely,
Phreakuency

Very ingenious. How much of this setup were you allowed to keep on your robot, and how much of it did you use? There are a number of commercially available ARM7 processors (like what’s on the new LEGO Mindstorms NXT bricks) that could run LabVIEW on them natively, and communicate to the RC via the serial/program port. I think I need to brush up on the rules of using additional processors on the robot… :yikes:

If anything comes out of my research, I’ll be sure to give you credit for the idea. :wink:

-Danny

Do you know Julienne Bash?
She was the one who was able to get us a full copy, which we still have. Although last year we used vision builder, it is essientially the same thing, except a little more in tune to the type of stuff we were doing. Correct me if I am wrong but Labview is for processing plants and assembly lines whereas vision builder was for pretty much everything else.
The rules last year did not say anything against using a secondary processor, which is why we were able to use it in toronto. If you want a copy of the work we did, I can get it for you.
By the way, if you see Julienne or talk to her soon, please tell her that we are immensely grateful and that we will send her our progress soon.
Sincerely,
Phreakuency

Ahhh! I had heard from Julianne that several teams last year asked for LabVIEW and the NI Vision Builder, but we didn’t get any feedback on what those teams did with it. The Vision Builder is nice, but it doesn’t come close (in overall functionality, in my opinion) to the NI-Vision and NI-IMAQ add-ons for LabVIEW. Yes, LabVIEW is used for MANY MANY things, but with add-ons its capabilities are enhanced tremendously. She needed to get you a FULL copy of LabVIEW because LabVIEW 7.x Student Edition was crippled (didn’t contain all the functionality of the FULL edition). In LabVIEW 8.0, the Student Edition is actually FULLY FUNCTIONAL! The only difference between it and the FULL edition is the Student Edition watermark. :smiley:

Unfortunately Julianne moved to another part of the state and decided to leave NI - she will be missed. If you want to send NI anything, please send it through frc[at]ni.com and it will go to the appropriate contacts. I personally would love to see what you did, I am also able to watch traffic across that e-mail address. This also may be something you might want to turn into a whitepaper for ChiefDelphi.

-Danny

I remember our whole team watching you guys getting that working at the toronto regional. It was definately interesting listening to you guys explain it to us since our team didn’t really have any dedicated programmers. So instead we just stayed in the pits playing doom2 :slight_smile: