Lasers (actually, just one...)

Guess that laser!

http://beta.zooomr.com/photos/1147558002_2484

All I know is that it’s a laser, and that it has a built-in power supply (?).

ideas?

(BTW, if it turns out to be a weapon, don’t shoot me down for it. All I know is that it’s big and I don’t want to blindly plug it in. Or maybe being blind would be the best way to go…)

how did you come about this strange piece of possibly high powered laser device and why did you come about it???

You’re never going to believe me.

I was going about in a garage sale. I was talking to one person about robotics and what I do between january and may. (Also bought 2 802.11g routers from him for $30.) I go across the street to look at another sale, and we’re just wraping up when he comes across with a metal tube.

The man is a business-owner. One of the things he does is make touch screens for a variety of things. (He just tossed a whole bunch.) He also had a project involving wireless (hence the routers; they ended up using a diferent one). They also do battery-based backup power for houses.

I’d like to think he didn’t intend for me to blow something up, but with this terrorism thing going around… (No, he wasn’t arabic.)

Jamie,
This appears to be part of a larger assembly. I have heard of devices like these used to measure movement over great distances. Perhaps in mining operations or seismic studies. It is obvious that the inner assy is sealed at both ends. Normally, one would look at the twist lock plug and assume that is for 120 v AC but frequently manufacturers would use this plug for 24 or 48 volt DC supplies. The twist lock prevents the power from being disturbed during vibration or movement. The parts visible in the slot with all the RTV on them is the high voltage section. Typical CO2 lasers use a supply of several thousand volts to initiate lasing. Although it may actually be the laser tube and hence the access through the side, I suspect that this hole may have been used for the addition of an accessory. You do not normally see a lens on the front of a laser which it appears this thing has. You would expect an optically flat window so this part is confusing.

ok…i cant say i havnt found my share of wierd unable to pass up things at garage sales (even my own) so thats cool. It looks like it might be part of some astronomy thing used to point at stars…(somebody is prolly in and rip me a new one for being so wrong but o well) but since it appears to be such high power and focus. I dont know what else you would use it for

Very insightful. Some details:

The “lens” (as I called it) appears flat on the exterior side, and does not seem to bend light like a true lens.

There is something backing the larger assembly theory. there is a substance on the front and back end of it similar to fun foam. It appears scraped or peeled at, and it seems that it originally covered the 6 screws on the front.

It fits loosely within the “sleeve”. (ie, 1/4" or so difference in size.) There are 4 screw holes at the power end of both the black assembly and silver tube, making me think they were originally attatched with something in between. There is also a single groove long-ways in the outside of the sleeve, and a “ditch” ring on the focal end of the sleeve (ie, opposite the screw holes).

Oops, I misspoke.

There apparently is not a power supply in the unit.

Repeat, there is no power supply.

Oddly enough, this looks very simmilar to a laser I played with, (yes played with in one of my senior year end classes) Mine was laying in a LARGE (5ft tall, 3ft thick, 6 foot long) Box. I may have to talk to the teacher who has it in his class and see if I can get a better look at it again, its been over 4 years now. Tha laser WAS used in experiments measuring off longdistances. I always had an idea to bounce the laser all over school and make people really wonder, but never could get enough mirrors…

-Mike

All of those things would point to micro adjustments for aiming. (moving the black tube inside the larger tube. The slot would seem to me an indication that this assy would be interchangeable with another similar device. Perhaps different wavelength emmissions. The foam may be a holdover from some temperature control insulation. I am surprised that there is no power supply. That type of connector is not used for high voltage, the insulation has a low breakdown voltage.