Last year's chassis parts

Hello,
I would like to know if it is allowed to use last year’s chassis parts that FIRST provided for this year’s chassis.

Thank you and good luck,
Adi:]

please remember that any opinion expressed in CD is not official…

The short answer is - it depends. If it is still commercially available, yes and you need to account for the cost (even if you just use what you got in last year’s kit);if not, no.

ifi’s website show’s some of the extrusions still available, but not all of them

Under certain conditions. Read Rules <R32> and <R33>. Since to use the IFI kit chassis in a competition at least part of it had to be cut, you cannot use those cut parts. Any unmodified part can be used. IFI still sells the kit on its website, so it is a COTS item (not a custom made FIRST kit part).

<R32> COTS ITEMS from ROBOTS entered in previous FIRST competitions or COTS MECHANISMS that are no longer commercially available may be used under the following conditions:
A. The item must be unmodified, and still in its original condition as delivered from the VENDOR, and
B. The item must not be a part custom made for the FIRST competition and provided in the Kit Of Parts for a previous FIRST Robotics Competition (e.g. 2006 FRC transmissions, custom-made motor couplers, custom sensor strips, 2006 IFI CMUcam II modules, etc. are not permitted), and
C. The item must satisfy ALL of the rules associated with materials/parts use for the 2009 FIRST Robotics Competition)

<R33> FABRICATED ITEMS from ROBOTS entered in previous FIRST competitions shall not be used on ROBOTS in the 2009 competition.

Ah, sorry. I went to the chassis metal page at ifi; I missed the kitbot chassis page, so yes they do still sell all of the extrusions and parts.

Please add to the above discussion…If it was used on last year’s robot it may not be used on this year’s robot in order to fit all work into the build season. See Robot rules section 8.3.4.