LED Lights

So as over confidence builds in the early portion of the build season our team has already decided on a basic design and our chassis group is thinking about lights. We were wondering if there are any restrictions as to LED’s especially with the reflective tape this year. Ive looked through the rules and nothing has stuck out to me. Has any one else found some? does any one know if there are restrictions for brightness ore anything.
Thanks
Zack Moore, FF503

There’s no problem with LED lights at all, but I would suggest that you not focus on that until you’re done with everything first. JMHO.

I don’t have the game manual in front of me. For some reason I remember there being a lumen limit and you can’t purposely distract other drivers. LED strips you would normally use for a car has been our teams source of light the past 2 years. They’re fairly easy to implement and we’ve never had ruling issues.

That would be important for active vision tracking. I’d need to have a very powerful ring light for the headlight to reflect off the tape!

R8 is the only possibly conflicting rule I found: ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition, or interfere with the operation of other ROBOTS.

The ring lights you can buy from Andy Mark are plenty powerful and lots of teams use them. I don’t think you’ll run into any trouble using them.