LED's

So for our driver station, we’re thiking of throwing some lights on it. Someone found a couple 7 color LED’s that are supposed to alternate through the colors. The only problem is the LED has three leads (short on one side, long on middle, and another short on the other side) and we have only done LED’s with 2 leads. So we are at a loss how how to correctly wire is. Obviously this isn’t that important and we won’t be needing it for a while but any advice or information would be helpful and appreciated. Thank You.

Alright, so basically those LEDs are actually two LEDS in one enclosure, each a separate color. The long lead is the positive lead for both; the short leads are negative and pulsed through the use of something like an arduino in order to control the brightness of each color. Using different combinations of brightnesses, you can create different colors with the LEDs.

It’s more likely one of these: https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060680

There is a decent document on using them here: http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Articles/MSGBB557TA_7_Color_LED.pdf

Essentially you power them like a normal LED, and then ground the mode pin to cycle it.

Honestly I feel like this should be prohibited.
R8 ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition, or interfere with the operation of other ROBOTS.
C. Any devices or decorations specifically intended to jam or interfere with the remote sensing capabilities of another ROBOT, including vision systems, acoustic range finders, sonars, infrared proximity detectors, etc. (e.g. including imagery on your ROBOT that, to a reasonably astute observer, mimics the VISION TARGET)
Because you will be behind the opposite team’s goals with leds, it may throw off their targeting of the hot goals, if I’m imagining your LEDS placed up behind the glass. But driver’s stations components are not robot parts. The rules specify nothing having to do with driver station LED’s, so I guess you’ll be okay?. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it before though. Maybe I’m imagining this wrong? But if not, this could be part of an amazing strategy.

Is this the LED you bought? http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Articles/MSGBB557TA_7_Color_LED.pdf

Oh no, this is just because in past years our driver station has been vey basic, just looking to make it different this year. I did not think about it being a distraction though…so maybe we won’t do this…but this is just a thought, probably won’t end up happening anyway.

We got ours from radioshack, but it appears to be practically identical thanks for the link.

Not sure if you knew this or not, but robots target the hot goal using the same retro-reflective tape from last year. The bright light has nothing to do with it…it is easily tuned out by adjusting settings and parameters in the code.

In past years I asked officially about using a reasonable brightness light source in the driver’s station as a reference point for a robot vision system and perhaps getting other people on your side of the field to place said battery (standard alkaline batteries) powered lights in their windows. There was no major objection.

As long as it’s not obnoxious or specifically designed to cause interference it’s not really worse than the lights anyone in the audience can walk in with on cameras or the venue lights which might be colored as well.

When it comes to vision systems there ought to be some expectation that you’ll encounter some dubious situations.