legality question

The light is definately mandatory. As for having it automatically come back to life after being “dead,” that is definately possible, but probably not useful if you can’t disable the light as well. Besides, if you’re planning what I think you are (fooling opponents into thinking you’re dead and ignoring you), my opinion is that it wouldn’t be “gracious professionalism” and therefore shouldn’t be done anyway. If this wasn’t your intent, I apologize, but I know several people were throwing this around after nats.

<edit>
For some reason, this post ended up at the beginning of the thread (it looks like the servers clock was messed up for awhile), but it should be the fifth one (I think)
</edit>

does anyone know if it is against the rules to program your robot to stop funtioning (light and all) and the have it automatically revive?

I think the only way you can do it is to push the kill button, but I think you can bring it back.

according to last year’s rules,

“A Relay Module must be used to power the rotating light provided in the kit. The light must turn on
when the robot is enabled and must turn off when the robot is disabled.”

i’d assume this means the light can ONLY turn off when the robot is disabled, but thats just my interpretation.

Tom

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**I think the only way you can do it is to push the kill button, but I think you can bring it back. **

You could program the relay the light is on to turn off, but i think this may be against the rules (see my above post)

the light is mandatory, and cannot have a switch, we asked judges at our regional about it, because we were going to add a switch for it

*Originally posted by sidewinder *
**does anyone know if it is against the rules to program your robot to stop funtioning (light and all) and the have it automatically revive? **

My 2 cents is that yea its illegal. The only way to kill and revive your robot is through the kill switch. You could program it to shut off and turn back on like an alarm clock but it would be considered illegal. The light and robot must be on at all times during the match unless the kill switch is pressed for a multiplier or if the match runs out of time.

*Originally posted by Nataku *
**the light is mandatory, and cannot have a switch, we asked judges at our regional about it, because we were going to add a switch for it **

Yes. The light is supposed to be attached to relay output 8, I think. In the default program, this is always on.

We attached to another relay, but since it was always on, we were okay.

Joseph has an interesting point, however. Each player station had the red kill switches, but they are resettable. If you wanted to do this, as cheesy as it is, you could just hit the switch at the start of the match (very quickly, so nobody notices your light :wink: ), and then reactivate it later.

thought id throw this in just to prove that it is possible to have ur robot legally ‘shut down’ then ‘start up’ again. when u hit the robot reset button from the oi u will for a short second or so see the light turn off and turn back on… in the code u could program ur robot to take an ordinarily long time to ‘reboot’.

not that i promote any of this… just thought id let you know its possible to do.

also from what i know… the rule requires that your robot may not be ‘active’ unless your light is on. such as what happens when u have low batt and your contoller ‘reboots’ itself. one would have to check to see if the rule of the light being on applies to the visual robot or to the rc.