Limelight 2 Availability

can we get some more info now? I’ve got kids literally chewing my head off because we don’t have a fancy $400 camera with software that all the “good teams” use.

9 Likes

We kind of hope to show our team can get “good” this year with an RPi camera or two and some decent software. I officially give up on doing Limelight, we have other priorities and I don’t need an aneurysm over 20 minutes of availability

13 Likes

Is there any update on the lead time to the restock of Limelights? Personally, we wanted to test our LL (that we planned on purchasing) before the season, but since it’s 29 days to kickoff I have a feeling we won’t be able to. Is there going to be an option to purchase one - either a new version or the LL2 - and hopefully ship before kickoff?

4 Likes

10 days later, we’re 20 days till kickoff and there’s still no sign of any availability of Limelights before or even after kickoff. @Brandon_Hjelstrom, is there any chance to get an update on anything regarding the LL?

3 Likes

After mulling it over this offseason, we’ve just had our programming crew look at building a version ourselves since we don’t think that there will be sufficient stock anytime soon. Right now we have sourced a wide angle lens webcam part, a raspberry pi, and a green LED ring. It’ll lack that turnkey vision we were looking for, but it will give our coders and hardware enthusiasts a fun project during build.

I’m bummed that we weren’t able to get one already, but our PO hurdle is just a barrier that we can’t get over fast enough before they run out.

1 Like

While waiting on the Limelight, feel free to check out Chameleon Vision (https://chameleon-vision.github.io/) or OpenSight(Introducing OpenSight - The powerful, all-in-one free vision suite) both open source, free vision systems that work similarly (and sometimes a little better) than the Limelight. Software can’t get out of stock.

9 Likes

We are, in fact, looking into both of these systems right now, although we really looked forward to the plug and play nature of using the LL

1 Like

We have implemented Chameleon on an RPi4 and are using a PSPEye camera. I’m not a programmer but our lead programming mentor reports that he likes the setup quite a bit.

2 Likes

Chameleon Vision is kinda close to plug and play. All you need to know is how to read the documentation. If you are having any trouble with setup, DM and I can help (or get you someone who can)

1 Like

I agree with mdurrani that it is pretty easy, even though I’m not the guy on the team setting it up. I’ve heard back from the mentor in charge that it seems very simple to implement. We bought PSPEye cameras for like $8 on ebay and plug them into an RPi4. Right now we are missing a case for the RPi, a mounting system for the camera, and the ring light, but there may be some purchasable solutions for all three showing up soon, and if not we can just 3D print some stuff ourselves. I too was hoping for Limelight but this feels like a good option and is saving us a lot of money.

3 Likes

This is the camera module and we’re going to mount the LED ring on the case. The pi will mount to the case we print and we’ll have a nice little housing.

we tried that a few years ago and found that is was very susceptible to static discharge. IT would then transfer that charge to the pi frying it as well.

What made the configuration susceptible to static discharge? The LED being on the outside of the case or the camera module?

Maybe they could donate some to First Choice? (Ducking quickly)

3 Likes

With no quantity limit!

2 Likes

camera module

Did your team switch to a different camera or did you end up just going with a turnkey solution like the Limelight?

we found a used one to test our code with. We are going to stay with the Lime for this year, but I am actively pushing for our own solution.

Spoken for… We ordered an extra if anyone is interested. Message me.

Thanks for the quick response, they are spoken for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.