LimeLight | The "Unofficial" Guide (DIY)

Do you want a limelight? Annoyed by their high prices?

Have I got the solution for you!

Parts required:
-Raspberry Pi (3/3b or 4)
-Raspberry Pi Camera!
-Micro SD Card
-LED Ring (Optional) (Cant turn LED on/off like limelight can)

Steps:

1. Download latest limelight image
    2.Use Etcher to “etch”
    3.Party!
    4.Plug in SD Card and Camera to PI and power on! It will act just like a regular limelight besides the led control!
1 Like

The Limelight v2 uses a Raspberry Pi 3 compute module, so beware of potential incompatibilities if flashing the image to 3+, 3B+ or 4 hardware.

I believe the Limelight uses this one, which gives you the nice M12 lens (the official Pi Camera has a tiny built-in lens).

I haven’t yet looked into it myself, but I bet you could figure out which GPIO(s) the Limelight software controls, and make your own toggleable LED circuitry.

1 Like

The raspberry PI image across compute modules and regular PI hardware inst an issue.

Using the same camera module might help with calibration/the 3d tracking, im unsure.

I can post the GPIO’s used in a second, finding out now.

There are absolutely ways to turn LEDs on and off without a Limelight

you can turn it off pretty quickly by sending 12v through it, the rest of the device while youre at it too!

I thought it was pretty well known already that its not exactly “hard” to replicate. That being said, a lot of work went into the software along with the product packing into an easy to use box thats dummy simple to use, and should be supported where possible. Its not expensive just to be expensive.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for something similar to Limelight that runs on your own hardware, check out Chameleon Vision

2 Likes

Could this work with a USB camera?