Lindows OS

i was wondering if anyone has heard of this lindows OS. I saw it advertised on tigerdirect.com. i know its linux based. If anyone has any real nifo on it could you please share. I was thinkin of buying the computer that has it because its only like $250. Thanks

i know it can supposibly run any windows applications, but thats just what they say

Yeah, I’ve heard of it too. It does run most/all windows apps. It will also support linux apps. From what I understand it’s based heavily on linux, but modified for native support of win32 and similar apps. Unfortunately it was priced pretty high. You cna get a free copy if you become a beta-tester, but I am fairly sure that is expensive too. I don’t particulary like it though. Running windows programs on something else seems wrong. It won’t help the linux world to grow if it becomes an extension to run windows programs. It is essentially a linux-based windows. While thats fine for some, I perfer to keep them seperate. Too much trouble nvolved in bringing them together.

But thats just my pessimistic $0.02

Matt

Lindows…

/me dies

Wetzel

Its the red-headed stepchild.

Its not all that great. I have Lindows 2.0. Just go dual boot its much better.

They do support Microsoft Office. That was one of their targets.

Basically it’s Linux with a supercharged version of Wine - an add-on for Linux that allows you to run Windows applications. I’m not sure if they started from scratch or used the WINE source… but it’s a lot better than WINE. It’s far from being 100% compatible with all Windows apps… but it’s a good start.

The positive side is that it is cheap and legal.

edit. It seems that they’ve removed WINE from the core of Lindows and have made it an extra download. Instead, they are focusing their product on the Software that comes with it for free via their Click-n-run section.

Didn’t all computers that were in walmart come with lindows pre installed??? That’s what I heard on another forum.

yeah the ad i saw said something about walmart too. maybe i’ll go take a look there

Yes, a few months ago, Walmart was selling 4 computer models with Lindows on it. They were up to 1.1 ghz or so in speed but used celeron processors. However, for a mere $350 or $400, they didn’t look half bad. Myselsf, I just suggest using a dual boot also.

Yeah the prices of the computer pre-loaded with lindows are dirt cheap.

When I get my own computer (read: not a family one dominated by me), I’ll particion the HD for Win and Lindows.

BTW…

Go MAC!

And I don’t mean to start a war. Just a comment.

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**When I get my own computer (read: not a family one dominated by me), I’ll particion the HD for Win and Lindows.

BTW…

Go MAC!

And I don’t mean to start a war. Just a comment. **

Yeah GO MAC!

*Originally posted by MattK *
**Yeah the prices of the computer pre-loaded with lindows are dirt cheap. **

Yeah, when you don’t have to buy M$ licenses, there’s not much left to drive up costs anymore. RAM is dirt-cheap, processors can be found for under $100, MBs for under $75. The most expensive component in the last computer I built was the HD at $95!

Hmm, well, a hardcore gaming comp can range from $1500-$2000 if you build it… taking lotta time, but much cheaper than spending money on premade stuff from Falcon NW or Alienware.

Yeah, but Alienwear has all those sleak cases and kick #%#%#% painjobs.

**Yeah, but Alienwear has all those sleak cases and kick #%#%#% painjobs. **

Yeah, these are the same thing BUT COOLER!

http://www.xoxide.com/dragonx.html

http://www.xoxide.com/chenming.html

/Me wants blue case.

Did you see their laptop on Fresh Grear? Oh god. I NEED that, too bad it’ll hack into my powerbook fund…

**/Me wants blue case.

Did you see their laptop on Fresh Grear? Oh god. I NEED that, too bad it’ll hack into my powerbook fund… **

No, can you post a link?

*Originally posted by MattK *

No, can you post a link? **

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3406071,00.html