Linking a line in a sketch to a plane

How do you link a line in a sketch to a plane in inventor 2016? The desired outcome would be that if I move the plane the line moves inside the sketch. And if a solid is extruded that uses that line the solid also updates.

I’m not totally clear on what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you need to project the geometry of the plane into your sketch, then make your line coincident with the projected line.

Hey Jeffrey.

Lets say I define put a rectangle on a sketch. I then want to link one side of that rectangle to a plane that is in my part. Lastly, I want to be able to change the location of the plane and have the line move in the sketch.

In the image i attached i want ti link line 2 to plane 2. i then want to move plane 2 and have line 2 move with it.

In my current session, the projected line that i create in sketch based on the plane does not move when i move the plane.

Alright. Still sounds like projected geometry with a coincident line. Are you sure you projected the line, then drew the line and made it coincident? If you don’t choose to project the geometry, then that line won’t track as you move the plane.

try putting in a dimension and enter “0” for the dimension.

Even with projected geometry and an adaptive sketch, the projected line will not move with the plane.

You may want to look into defining a variable for the plane distance and then defining your rectangle dimensions with the same variable.

To do this, you can type “planeDist = 100” in the dimension box when defining your plane distance from the origin. Then when you are defining the rectangle dimension, use the same variable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have attached a test assembly and detail as an example. If you change the work plane1,2,3 or 4 the solid does not update. But if you change work plane 5 it does. How can I get it to change when ever I change any of the planes.

test assy.iam (83.5 KB)
test.ipt (86.5 KB)

test assy.iam (83.5 KB)
test.ipt (86.5 KB)

I think I may have figured it out. Looks like I need to bring all of the planes in to every model.

Thanks for the help.

I am used to parametric design just working in catia. Looks like it is a lot more work to do in autodesk.

test assy.iam (86 KB)
test.ipt (87.5 KB)

test assy.iam (86 KB)
test.ipt (87.5 KB)