List me things for our new pre match checklist

Hello I’m from Team 2051 I want your help to get a suggest things to add to our pre-match checklist. Currently, we are planning renew the per-match checklist for the next competition .

Ex: Pneumatic

• Make sure the stored air is not greater than 120 psi
  • Check if the Pnenmatic functions correctly

Controls/electronics

• Test the robot controls/movement
  • Check the connect on the electronics board

Others

• Secure/check the bumper
  • inspect the robot’s mechanic

Consider what you want to be looking at, and when you want to be looking at it. My team has a pre-match checklist, a post-match checklist, and a series of subsystem checklists.

The pre-match checklist focuses on what we need to do to be ready to go on the field - getting the robot in the starting configuration, charging pneumatics, doing a final check on connectors and for pneumatic leaks, making sure we have everything with us when we leave the pit, etc.

The post-match checklist looks for damage, loose bolts, and other items that may have been impacted during the match.

The subsystem checklists use images from our CAD to call out the specific areas we want to look at - where there are bolts we want to check, belt or chain we want to ensure is properly tensioned, sensors we want to make sure are still working correctly, etc.

Somewhat of a tangent, but we also have a post-match driveteam report. Pretty simple, but it provides the drive team with a chance to give feedback to our scouters on each of the teams on the field in that match.

1 Like

My current team doesn’t use a pre-match checklist, but my old team did. It typically consisted of:

• Before doing anything else, check anything that broke, didn’t work as expected, or otherwise seemed sketchy during the match
    -Charge pneumatics (depending on the year - some years we chose to just let it charge during the match)
    -Put in a fresh battery (but not until AFTER the two steps above!)
    -Check/change the bumpers
    -Check any mechanical things that have given us trouble during build season or on the practice bot (certain bolts that tend to loosen up, chain tension, do pneumatic wheels feel inflated enough, etc). We listed out the specific things to check on the checklist, but obviously it varies from year to year. Talk to your mechanical, electrical, and software captains about what they’ve seen repeatedly cause problems
    -Put the robot in starting configuration

We also used a pit closing checklist each evening before we left. This included things like:
-Putting the robot in a safe state (unplugging the batter, releasing pneumatic pressure, putting the robot in its lowest-height configuration, etc)
-Turning off our pit LEDs
-Making sure we had batteries charging
-Putting away all tools/sweeping up
If there was a catastrophic robot problem we didn’t always finish the list before we got kicked out of the pits, but it was generally a good guideline for us.

We printed both lists back to back and put them in a plastic sleeve, and checked everything off with a wet-erase pen. When the list was fully checked off, we hung it back up on a peg at the front of our pit so the drive team could tell at a glance that the robot was ready to be taken to the next match. When the robot left for the match, we erased the list.

My old team used to have huge problems with not getting the robot properly ready for matches (such as brown-outs on the field due to not changing the battery and robots not functioning because bolts came loose), and making them use checklists religiously was an effective intervention. My current team does pretty well without a physical checklist and hasn’t had any major issues in the time I’ve been with them; I’d still prefer to use one just to be safe but I’m not going to die on that hill.

My team started using pre-match checklists after a year of constantly failing on the field due to easily prevented mistakes (not using a fresh battery, not making sure the robot was turned on, etc.).

We use a paper checklist and hold onto them throughout the event. One of the reasons we hold onto them throughout the event is that they’ve helped us spot problems. We number our batteries, and before each match the team writes down which battery was used and what the voltage was. We’ve identified bad batteries (or bad crimps) because the same battery was repeatedly involved in matches with electrical problems.

We also make sure that the checklist has us looking at every part of the robot. Not everything can be on the list, but students have spotted problems with things unrelated to the checklist because they noticed them while running through the thigns that are on the checklist.