List of Teams by Year Created?

Yes that’s where I looked. Both places. I guess we don’t know anything about matches played at those events, unless someone recalls.

I was at both. I recall there were matches. My team didn’t win many.

1 Like

Technokats had this results summary, but I don’t remember finding actual FIRST records of individual match scores from the earlier years:
97_results_chicago.pdf (50.5 KB)
97_results_natls.pdf (53.5 KB)

Thanks to @Karthik for providing the data, the TBA API was a little outside my knowledge range. I was able to convert the data into excel, which made it easy to sort them by year.

Here is the sheet I used for anyone that is interested: FRC Teams By Year Eric Kline.xlsx (822.3 KB)

That’s just the data provided by @Karthik here, coveted directly to Excel.

We were then able to come up with the list of teams year, which @Mark_McLeodwas able to confirm, thanks to him for that.

We will be making a new thread in the coming days with our findings, so look out for that. Its looking interesting, yet unsurprising.

Thanks to everyone else who helped!

1 Like

Complete random question but does anyone know if there was a team 2319 at any time?

(Crouches and looks toward the ceiling) It does not appear that there was ever such a team. According to Mark’s list in post 7, this was in the gap between 2007 and 2008 numbers.

1 Like

So how do teams get a specific special number? Like they get old numbers but they’re young.

After a brief search on my sheet and TBA, it doesn’t appear so.

“Old” numbers are given to new teams when an old team splits. There may be other ways. (?)

1 Like

Legacy teams. I’m not sure exactly how you get that status, but its not somewhat common.

For these (listed in 1992) are you saying they had a team in 1992 but went to a new team number after the original one died?

It is a sad day :sob:

First, no team number is ever reused (except for once recently by mistake), but gaps are left during the assignment of new team numbers.

Pure rookie teams always get new generation team numbers.
But, certain teams that might not fully qualify as rookies (or for rookie awards), because they existed before or have a lot of veteran team members for example, can get one of those old-never before used-team numbers.
A new “veteran” team gets created via various methods, e.g., existing team split, a defunct team returning after a hiatus of several years, a new team forming from ex-veteran members, etc.
For example, if a team splits then FIRST will assign them a spare unused number from the same year that the originating team was created.

2 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks

2019 actually went to 7915. There were a couple teams that signed up mid season.

7915 was with us at Wisconsin regional last year.