Listing FRC on Resume

It’s even better if you can quantify the effects of what you did.

Some examples are “…decreased cost by X% while decreasing reject rate by Y% by…” and “Improved consistency of scoring from M% to N% by refining the design of…”

One lesson I have learned over 40 years of job hunting is that one is not hired to be smart. One is hired (and retained in bad times) for getting desirable results.

Lots of good advice. What came to mind for me is:

1. If you’re early college/early career and struggling to fill the space, put it on there. If you have more than you can fit on a page and you’re trying to figure out what to cut, FIRST experience is probably not the most important thing on there.
  2. Assume most employers have never heard of FIRST or FRC, and add enough explanation to give them a general idea (“worked with a team to design and build a 120lb robot in 6 weeks” is the gist of what my resume used to say when I was using it as engineering experience)
  3. Once you’re done with college, no one cares what you accomplished in high school. That goes for FRC as well as Quiz Bowl, volleyball state champs, and valedictorian. If you’re more than a year out of college, I would say only put FIRST on your resume if it’s mentoring/coaching experience. When I got to this stage, it lived in the single line of Hobbies at the bottom of my resume (i.e. Gardening * Hiking * DIY projects * Coach high school robotics).
  4. Don’t put anything on your resume unless you want to talk about it. I had an engineering class in college that I struggled tremendously in and a huge portion of the grade was the final project, which was a group project that I didn’t fully understand and was constantly stressed that I wasn’t able to contribute a ton. I had the project on my resume (because according to everyone the best thing about E80 is you get a super impressive project to put on your resume!!!) and mentioned to a friend that I was stressing about what if a recruiter asks about it and I can’t explain what I did very well. And my friend said just take it off, you know you’re not required to put everything you’ve ever done right? Apparently it’s common practice for CS majors that if you really desperately hate programming in a certain language, don’t put it on your resume no matter how proficient you are - the purpose of a resume isn’t to show how smart and accomplished you are, it’s to show how good a fit you are for that job in particular. I digress, but essentially if you put FIRST experience on your resume make sure you are excited to talk about what FIRST is, what you did and learned there, and how it connects to the job you’re applying for.

Thank you all for the help, I used a little bit of all of this to get it done.

1 Like