Live Video on Dashboard

On Friday of the Florida Regional Team 2152 was prohibited from using its Dashboard ostensibly because the live video would provide an unfair advantage over other teams.

We were not able to pursuade the Chief Referee that the live video was legal as long as it was passed through the user data. The language of Update #5 was considered ambiguous because it did not say yes. Q&A questions that do not say “yes” or “no” seem to remain ambiguous, especially where a simple yes or no before the explanation is omitted.

The Chief Referee did graciously agree to contact FIRST headquarters Friday night for clarification and present the following letter:

To: FIRST Officials to whom it may concern.
Subject: Team 2152 Dashboard Video

Team 2152 has a custom dashboard and Software in the MDC that transfers
live video from the Axis 206 camera and packs compressed images in the
user data portion of the MDC to Dashboard data frames.

We are not being permitted to use this live video at the Florida Regional.

The Q&A contains a specific question from FRC2104 on 1/11/2009.
The GDC response was:

“It is technically possible to capture an image obtained by an
on-board camera, pass it through the Mobile Device Controller,
transmit it back to the Driver Station, and display it on a dashboard
display. However, limitations on the data transfer rate provided by
the wireless communication system may provide a practical limit
on the effectiveness of the implementation”

We did not, an do not, interpret this as “No”. We took, and
continue to take the response to mean: “You can if you want,
but we (the GDC) don’t think it will be effective”

Team 2152 took this as a challenge, and solved the technical
issues to make it effective. The video subsystem was implemented
by using highly compressed video and packing video frames within
the 984 byte per packet user data stream that the rules allow.
Our dashboard software (written in Python) runs on a standard
PC (as permitted), connected to the DS as permitted,
receives the permitted user data bytes, unpacks video, and expands the
video from 160x120 to 320x240 for display on the Dashboard;
providing our pilots with a live view, along with other Telemetry.

No Rule, Q&A answer, or Update, can be cited that prohibits us from using
the 984 bytes user data in the Dashboard packets for live video.
There are rules that prohibit using additional data transport, e.g. that
used by the Camera to PC video relay (which uses different ports)
but this is not what we are doing. We are transfering images collected
from the camera over the local link, and using the same 984 bytes of
user data that all cRIO’s transmit to the DS for forwarding over
UDP to the dashboard.

The Inspection checklist prohibits unauthorized wireless communication
devices. We are using all KoP of items in the authorized configuration.
The axis camera is sending data over the LOCAL ethernet port,
in the same manner as when this is used for tracking. The cRIO is
sending the exact same datastream to the DS, except that the
984 bytes of user data (which is ALWAYS transmitted) now
includes our compressed data stream.

Our laptop PC is legally connected only to the DS and uses
only the specified UDP port and IP address.

There is no RULE specifically prohibiting live video!

Team 2152 believes that we should be allowed to compete
using our innovate live dashboard video solution, which
provides 25 frame per second live view.

Respectively,

Team 2152

On Saturday morning, the Chief Referee profusely apologized and advised us that we could use our live video dashboard as long as we could demonstrate that the data was coming through the user data portion of the MDC to DS frames.

As 2152 was doing well at the time (4/2), we made the decision not to make any changes to the cRIO software for the 3 remaining qualifiers.

We are providing this information for the possible benefit of teams at future regionals and the championship. If you have similar capabilities, you should be prepared to bring them to the attention of the inspectors on Thursday and make sure that you are able to demonstrate to them that your live video uses the user data transport and not some other path. Wireshark is a good tool for doing this. I thought the FMS was blocking all other ports but this may not be the actual case.

2152 intends to post the live camera code and dashboard source in the next few days so other teams may take advantage of this capability if they wish.

Thank you so much and what type of screen did you use?

We (1625) were running feed back to a laptop on our DS and another team reported this to the ref’s, the ref’s then checked the Q and A and determined it was allowed.

Toshiba Laptop - Widescreen - 1125 x 800 is the window of the Dashboard

Feedback or Live Video?

The Florida refs initially allowed the telemetry feedback but not the live video.

FMS is blocking the video ports, if you can stick your video compression in the user data portion of the MDC to DS packet… by my understanding, its legal.

EDIT: and thats cool you were able to do it :wink:

live video feed from the axis camera

Was legal for 1708 in Pittsburgh. 17" screen, got it up to ~5 fps = very nice video feedback.

–Ryan

In Wisconsin it was ruled legal following an examination of the Q&A quoted above. For those who are reading this, the video is low resolution (limited by the camera and data bandwidth) and delayed from real time by what appeared to be the greater part of a second.

2077 did this last weekend at WI.

We sent an 80x60 (later scaled up) image split into 5 interlaced fields at 8 bits per pixel with no compression in the usual sense. Is there an API for compression? We used the 8 bits as a 4-bit red channel and a 4-bit green channel, giving “sorta-color” sufficient to distinguish targets.

We got usable video at 10 fps with occasional dropped fields (jerkiness, smears). Latency seemed to be around half a second with our final setup, though some earlier tests did better at the price of less acceptable blurring. Not sure what the limiting factor in this was.

The key things we found were 1) controlling the rate at which we sent frames into the Dashboard class (the cRIO->DS loop is asynchronous at .02 seconds) and 2) using the lower level NI imaq APIs to access pixel data in the Image object quickly.

I suspect considerably better performance is possible with some tweaking, and especially if real compression were used, but that’s were we got in the time available, and it was certainly usable.

Question, and let me just preface this by saying I have no experience with this years control system.

Isn’t the field, etc. using the 802.11n wifi protocol this year? It’s my understanding that wireless-N is capable of throughput somewhere in the 100mbps range which makes me wonder why on earth you would be limited to 900 some K and have to compress video down to 160x120. It seems with N you ought to be able to do at least standard def video.

I would think something like this would be the whole rationale for using Wireless-N for filed communications otherwise it seems like way overkill if you’re just going to move a few K worth of data round.

I apologize in advance if my severe lack of knowledge makes this question a total waste of time.

Just curious,

Justin

While 802.11N does have high raw throughput, it is not only throughput that matters. Control of the Robot, and real-time video, require very low round trip latency and low jitter. This is why UDP protocol (unreliable datagrams) is used at the modest rate of 50 packets packets per second in each direction. Packets aren’t worth much if anything in this environment if they are delayed much more than 25 ms.

TCP protocol provides reliable streams at the expense of delay and jitter. TCP is unsuitable for real time applications except where the error rates are extremely low, e.g. a local Ethernet loop. With wireless, there are retransmissions that occur at layer 2 to get around interference issues (these apply to both UDP and TCP) but the retransmissions at Layer 3 for TCP would basically kill any hope of meeting the latency and jitter requirements.

There are solutions (QoS) that can prioritize UDP traffic and allow a smooth coexistence of UDP and TCP. It’s a good bet that these will be deployed in future competition. FIRST has wisely chosen to deploy slowly and move step by step as it rolls out the new system. The system seems to be working extremely well at the regionals. We still haven’t seen how it performs with four fields in the Georgia Dome.

The next logical step will likely be to deploy RTP/RTSP for the camera. The present camera uses MJPEG as multi-part MIME messages in an HTTP response carried over TCP/IP. This is really unsuitable for the field environment, although it may work well in the lab.

The biggest gain for the moment is that 802.11N operating in the 5.4 GHZ band(s) provides many more channels and they are largely uncluttered at the moment. The 2.4MHZ junk bands (as the FCC calls them) are filled with, well, junk. As mobile phones (and venus) begin deploying 802.11N in the 5.4GHZ bands, the interference is going to dramatically increase. Accordingly, it’s wise to remain ultraconservative.

At the moment we have about 400kbps of reliable bandwidth in both directions. To those of us who started with 75 baud, this sure seems like a lot :wink:

As for compression, the only way to get images under 2K bytes is to use low resolution (160x120) and very high compression. Remember, the camera produces MJPEG images - not MPEG. MJPEG video is just a series of jpg pictures at the frame rate. Each frame stands by itself (like an MPEG I-Frame). There is no compression involving differences with forward and backward frames and in the real-time environment these delays cannot always be tolerated.

And don’t apologize for asking questions - that’s what the forum is about.

The Axis 206 is capable of capturing, compressing, and transferring MJPEG images at a sustained 30 FPS with less than 33ms delay. It can do this even for full VGA images. With a 160x120 image and a high compression setting you can get reasonable images that average 1.7KB. Not all images will be the same size. With jpeg, it depends on the complexity.

I find the jpeg encoder on the 206 to be pretty good. The attached example is 1.54KB. When you put an image of this quality in motion at 25 fps, and expand it to 320x240 the eye integrates the pixelation and fills in the gaps.

When the camera is setup to stream, the images arrive over the TCP/IP link as multi-part http response that essentially goes on forever or until the TCP/IP connection is torn down.

The key is not to decode the images. The decoder in the library is pretty slow, there is no encoder, and additional delay would be introduced by transcoding. Instead the compressed jpeg images is just passed through the user data stream to the DS which forwards it on to the dashboard. If you want, you can also decode the image on the side into an HSL for processing the tracking.

In order to control all the timing, we replaced the Dashboard, DriverStation, and RobotBase classes with our own variants. The main difficulty is that you cannot allow queues to form. You have to throw away stale images.

The system timing is all controlled by the DS. The DS sends a packet every 20ms and it passes the last received packet to the Dashboard every 20ms. This is more or less synchronous. The MDC responds to each DS packet with an MDC packet. The MDC never originates a packet, it only responds. The DS never responds, it just streams a packet toward the MDC every 20ms (and another to the Dashboard in a different task). There are better ways to do this - but that’s a discussion for post season.

When packets are delayed and arrive bunched up at the MDC, it responds to each one with the latest buffer it has. When the DS receives these packets, it just places the data in the buffer, overwriting the previous content. Every 20ms, the Dashboard gets the latest data from the MDC.

The Dashboard will generally get a reliable 50 pps stream with close to zero jitter and no dropped packets because the connection is local. However, the CONTENT of these packets reflect upstream packet losses, delays, and jitter.

So the pipeline is reliable transport -> unreliable transport -> reliable transport.

To summarize the timings:

1. The image is captured by the CCD (based on exposure time), always less than 33ms.

2. The image pixels are dumped in mass to the shift CCD’s and marched out the CCD into the jpeg compressor. The image can be compressed on the fly since jpg works with multiple scan lines. This delay is also well under 33ms.

3. The jpg image is sent over the TCP/IP connection. This has minimal delay.

4. The MDC TCP/IP stack receives the image, unblocking the waiting read task.

5. Once the complete image is read, it is passed for formatting in the telemetry packets. This requires synchronization with the stream. If the image is too old, it is discarded here. Otherwise, it goes on to be packed within 2 or more telemetry frames which introduces a 30ms typical delay.

6. The actual packet transmission delays are nominally small. There is an additional 10ms average delay from DS to Dashboard.

7. The packet arrives in the Windows IP stack where it is passed to a waiting thread in the python code.

8. The image is decoded (to RGB) and expanded (from 160x120 to 320x480) by python PIL code and then written to the display. This has a delay of about 20ms.

9. The image will not be seen by anybody until the next video refresh comes around. This is an average delay of 8.3 ms.

The entire process has an end to end delay of around 150ms.

Longer delays will occur if you allow a queue to develop anywhere along the pipeline. You must drain and discard to avoid this. The most common places for this to occur is in the IP stacks in the MDC (for data coming from the camera) and in the Dashboard (for packets coming from the DS). If you don’t keep up with all of the processing, queues will build and you will start to see large delays.

test160.jpg

test160.jpg

We used the Flatten Image to String VI, which allows you to specify a compression algorithm (PNG/JPG/TIFF/BMP - but TIFF and BMP probably wouldn’t be suited for this application) and in the case of JPG, a quality setting which essentially controls the compression rate/lossiness (those who are familiar with the JPG format are aware of this setting).

This produces a string which we converted to a byte array using the usual String to Byte Array function, then packetized to send over the network.

The one disadvantage to this approach is the compression algorithm takes a little time to run, but this was compensated for by running parallel while loops with 1-element queues to pass the data around.

Unfortunately I won’t have access to the code for another week or so, but I can post the code then if anyone is interested.

I do like the idea of just passing through the images from the camera. [writchie] I think you hinted at this, but does the Axis cam supports changing JPEG quality levels?

–Ryan

The compression level (quality) on the Axis camera is set when the stream is started. It has to remain constant for the stream.

I missed the imaqFlatten function (the C API version). It looks like there is a lot of good stuff in the vision library that time didn’t allow us to explore yet. BTW, I believe that NIVision.h is proprietary - not open source. This is one of the few files we cannot modify and distribute. We are licensed only to use it - like the other proprietary components. National Instruments is being very nice to us. We need to fully respect all of their IP rights.

Depending on how good the jpg encoder is, i.e. speed and file size at high compression settings, it looks like it might be possible to handle higher quality 320x240 images (for better tracking), scale them to 160x120, compress them with a high setting, and ship them off to the dashboard while maintaining 25 fps.

Since the jpg decoding speed is pretty slow, I would expect the encoding speed to have similar issues. Have you measured how much processor time is required to encode at high compression settings?

I would really like to get a look at the code when you get time to post it. I do not really get what everything means but I want to learn, and our programmers are going to start on a code to try to get this to work and we are prolly gonna need all the help we can get.

Everybody seems to be doing great on this thread. I only have a few things to add. I’ve seen the camera timing get flaky when compression is set too high. I’m not sure where the threshold is or if it involves images size or is simply affected by compression factor. By flaky I mean that the image framerate will drop because some frames will take two periods to be sent.

Also, modifying the image and recompressing on the cRIO doesn’t seem like a good use of CPU time. If you can find a single camera setting so that the image can be piped to the dashboard, that will have minimal impact on other tasks and will get the highest framerate to the dashboard.

Greg McKaskle

Since our entire set-up was implemented on the Thursday night/Friday morning of the competition, I didn’t have an opportunity to do extensive testing. As soon as I get access to the code I’ll try to do some benchmarking.

In what we were doing, the video didn’t necessarily have to be 25 fps, we settled for 3-5 fps (also probably because of time constraints. along the lines of “does it work?” “yes” “ok awesome don’t break it”); all of our images were being split across multiple frames. We had a some problem with dropped UDP packets (probably somewhere along the line of 1 out of every 50 or so), which means we would drop a frame every 2-3 seconds, but it didn’t seem to be a problem.

It should be noted that our application was essentially a monitor to tell our operator if he should push the “dump” button, since our robot was tall and opaque; we weren’t actually trying to drive the robot real time with this. It’s my opinion that basically no matter how good you get the video framerate/quality, it’s not going to be able to beat just watching the field for driving ability, due to the camera’s relatively narrow field of view. I don’t say this to discourage anyone, just to make sure teams are being reasonable about what this can accomplish.

I agree, I’ll have to do some experimenting with the camera compression settings.

However, I was finding that by using parallel while loops, I could keep the bottle neck as the network transfer speed (granted we were still using 10 frames to transfer one image). Again, I’ll have to do more rigorous testing, but it seems like most teams won’t be doing much else with CPU time than running a basic driver control loop, and using parallel whiles with appropriate considerations for timing should keep this running smoothly.

–Ryan

I’m extremely new to LabVIEW programming, and I’m wondering if I can have a copy of your Dashboard code if you actually got it working. Thanks.

I am new to programming things to send over a network. How do you compress files and images in the C++ code. How would i uncompress the files and images in VB.NET. I would love to see the hard code of the camera feed functions.