LoneStar Regional Feedback

Posted by Kevin Sevcik.

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

Posted on 3/21/2000 6:41 AM MST

Hey, I know this forum is just dominated by you northeast, types… :^) but did anyone in here go to the LoneStar Regional in houston, Texas?

My mom organized and helped pla it, and I think I’m required by law to get feedback. Alright, well not required, but I want a home to return to this summer. :^) so if any of you went… How was the Astro Arena for a site? Were the pits big enough? How was the team party? Do you think everything went smoothly? (insert other good questions here)

I’m just curious. And just so you know, this feedback will be taken to heart, so don’t skimp on the pros and cons… :^) thanks…

Posted by Stewart Rogers.

Coach on team #16, Baxter Bomb Squad, from Mountain Home High School and Baxter Healthcare Corporation.

Posted on 3/21/2000 7:32 AM MST

In Reply to: LoneStar Regional Feedback posted by Kevin Sevcik on 3/21/2000 6:41 AM MST:

Kevin,

I was a volunteer at LoneStar last weekend. I thought your mom did a great job of organizing and helping to produce a very entertaining regional. The pit area seemed crowded at times, but I didn’t hear any complaints. The AstroArena is a very good site. The temperature was comfortable (indoors) all weekend. From the volunteer perspective, I thought we were very well taken care of.

The event field was dominated by rookie teams, and two of the three champions were rookies. The semi-finals and finals were very exciting matches. In fact, the alliance I thought would win the regional, didn’t even make the finals.

This was my first time to volunteer, but I would certainly consider doing it again in the future.

Stewart Rogers
Baxter Bomb Squad

Posted by Jon.

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 3/21/2000 12:05 PM MST

In Reply to: LoneStar Regional Feedback posted by Kevin Sevcik on 3/21/2000 6:41 AM MST:

since i didn’t get to go home for the regional and instead stayed and represented up in the Northeast!
here are my questions…
Astro Arena?! Like where the Science Fair happens or where the Car Show happens?

You always need more pit space…

where was the team party? not at that ranch in the middle of nowhere again… :slight_smile:

con: i wasn’t there or else i would have volunteered and would now have a crew shirt…

also, did the Tigers or ‘Leopards’ (what’s up with that?) represent well?

-team 57 alumni
jon

Posted by Kevin Sevcik.

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

Posted on 3/21/2000 1:25 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: LoneStar Regional Feedback posted by Jon on 3/21/2000 12:05 PM MST:

:^) so many questions… the field was in the actual arena part of the astroarena where all the seats, etc are. As for pit space, the pits where in the lobby area just in front of the arena. this was convenient for getting robots to the field, on the down side, I think it will ultimately limit the expansion of the regional. There’s only so much space there, so something else will have to be worked out eventually.
The team party was held in a part of the astrohall, complete with DJ, laser light show, and great food. (Fajitas and mexican food… mmm… I hope dean’s listening and making a menu for nationals…)
Finally the whole tigers, leopards fiasco. As you’ve probably heard, the mighty Exxon has merged with Mobil to create a near unstoppable oil company. On the downside, this means that our team is sponsored by Exxon-Mobil and not Exxon. The brilliant legal department of said company decided that Exxon-Mobil couldn’t be associated with a Bengal-type tiger. Our team was crestfallen, but we figured we could just be white tigers… nope. no tigers. So we decided we’d be the leopards and put a bit less trust in Exxon-Mobil in matters concerning establishing a unique team identity. On the plus side, leopard fur is remarkably more fasionable than bright orange tiger fur… cooler too, much to our mascots’ delight. anyways, now that I’ve described my view of the lonestar regional, hows about someone give me their viewpoint? :^)

Posted by Jon.

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 3/21/2000 10:34 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: LoneStar Regional Feedback posted by Kevin Sevcik on 3/21/2000 1:25 PM MST:

I’d have to see the ‘leopard’ fur to say whether its more fashionable… doubt it :slight_smile: i still have my orange tiger suit in my closet… kinda screams halloween though…

hmmm… fajitas… yum… i want fajitas at nationals…