Looking for Info on 2767 Stryke Force Swerve

Obviously 2767 had great performance over the season, congratulations on their Championship Win!

I was looking for design/CAD/SW or general info on what their swerve drive consists of. I’ve looked around on CD, and the web and don’t see any details anywhere.

Does anyone know where to find some details on what they use?

I do not have CAD but from my knowledge just from talking to them (friends of ours), they are doing a swerve drive assembly with two wheels per swerve assembly, which they are using Colsons. Exact widths and diameter I can not think of off the top of my head. To drive the robot, they are using a 775 Pro ran through a CIM-ile, with a CIMcoder for speed and I can’t remember the gear reduction on top of that. For turning they are using a BB550, again, unsure what the gear reduction is. From talking to them, I believe they are willing to release their CAD. Their design seems to make very much sense and I know 2054 is using an older version of it. Hopefully someone else will be able to fill in more details than I know.

If anyone from 2767 sees this, I would love to see a seminar from you guys on swerve. You are the experts on it and a white paper on it, or hopefully a filmed seminar would be amazing.

I looked very briefly at the module they were servicing while talking with them in the pits. The one thing that immediately stuck out to me was the fact they were using two wheels per module. It made for a very vertically compact design, as they could mount the wheels directly to the shaft with their bevel gears. Obviously, having the wheels with longer rotational lever arms would mean having to overcome more scrubbing to rotate the modules.

Another nice feature of Stryke Force’s swerve is vertical spring-loading. Someone from the team might post a picture; the springs do a fine job of keeping all the wheels in contact with carpet.

Here is a shot of the dual wheel set-up with am-2620 and am-2621 bevel gears in the middle. IIRC those are 217-4046 2.5" colsons.

I think the “fork” started life as a piece of 4" box tube before it was cut in half to make c-channels.

This is really cool. We might look into making something similar. CAD models would be awesome.

We are planning on doing an off season swerve; I am with you in hope to see some CAD for these modules. Looks like a sweet design!

We are currently making a swerve drive package of the 2017 robot which we plan to release in the coming weeks. Currently we are being swamped with requests and we believe it would be better suited for everyone if we make one location to get the files, rather then attacking them on an indidvual request.

Can’t imagine why, other than the fact that your robot was a joy to watch, and your driver seemed to have been born to use it.

Came here to make a similar statement. I didn’t catch his name, but I had a great chat with their driver in the pits about their swerve modules, and he gave me all the details I could handle, including how it was the 7th (!) iteration of their modules.

If anyone wants to see how a swerve robot should be driven, definitely check out some match videos from this year. It’s not too often you see someone so effectively rotating while simultaneously translating with a swerve without wasted motion.

I would not focus as much on the physical swerve but on the driver and the HMI. Why is their driver so good? Was he born that way or is there something about thier control system - HMI that allows him to perform at that level.

I haven’t seen their robot in action, but what you described sounds a lot like what is described in posts 6, 9, and 10 of this thread and this paper.

Very excited for this!

The driver of the robot was insane and fun to watch. His reactions are amazing on the field. Great drive train and Great driver.

Here are a couple CAD shots of the swerve drive while we get the documents in order.

Thanks, Cory. Very helpful!

It looks like the top of your chassis c-channel (yellow in the second thumbnail) is about 4.5" off the deck. Is that right?

What is the purpose of the spring above the steering pulley?

Our swerve had some leveling issues with wheels not making full ground contact over uneven flooring.

I’m assuming the springs solve that issue in a nice and compact manner.

We chose to solve it “well enough” by using some precision cut spacers to level the modules, and then just accepted the drift of an uneven floor.

1 Like

The spring provides down force to keep all the wheels on the ground. Helps with uneven floors and minor bends in the frame.

Richard, I’ll measure the height tonight when we meet.

Any concerns with belt/pulley alignment as the result of this, or were the spring changes constant enough that you could tweak the pulley placement on the shafts?

Did the springs help ensure a more even distribution of normal forces between different modules, or did uneven spring loading exacerbate these issues?