Looking for Pics of Pristine & Damaged/Broken Peg

TLDR; respond to this message with photos of pegs in good, bad & ugly state. It may help me make a proposal to FIRST to make the peg problem go away.

CD community,

I have need of some pictures of undamaged/unused Pegs and Pegs that have been run through the ringer. Lots of the latter. A few of the former.

I need lots of pictures.

I have an idea for a possible fix that might make this problem just go away with everyone happy and nobody complaining that we’ve changed the field is a way that, but for that one change, they were a lock for Einstein.

Can’t say more. I am still in the research stage but I need tons of pictures of good pegs and damaged pegs to get a subject matter expert up to speed on the kinds of failures we need to address.

I did some searching and didn’t find any that I liked so I am asking the CD community to step up.

FINALLY, I haven’t dug into the field prints and I am not sure I can trust them if I did. Can someone tell me 100% for CERTAIN what length the springs need to be cut to?

Time is of the essence.

Thanks,
Dr. Joe J.

They’re not strictly peg photos, but you’ll find pegs in many high-res photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielernst/sets/72157681078408865

Sorry, I appreciate the link but I have to run to unbag our robot for 3 hours tonight. Can someone go through this and get clean clear peg photos?

I am talking with my spring guy tomorrow as soon as UPS delivers the McMaster spring I just sent him.

Thanks,
Joe J>

Better than nothing? These are the only damaged spring pictures I have. Sorry about the poor quality!

Here are pictures of pegs that aren’t damaged. Unfortunately only a couple are up close and personal.

Most of them in there look like this: one, two, three, four. Are photos like this useful or from too far away?

This thread might help it has videos of gears being dropped on the peg and a few pictures

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153835

Hopefully somebody from PCH Gainesville will post a pic of the spring wrapped around a team’s climbing mechanism.

I didn’t get a pic, as I was trying to keep students away from the potential hazard as we released the spring.

Damaged springs from our practice field. These are pre-tip change to 3/16" LDPE…so not a perfect representation.

Bent springs

ChiefDelphi never lets me down.

Those are perfect. If there are any more keep them coming.

I thought I would have a ton of pristine photos and only a few broken/damaged.

Does someone have a some close ups of undamaged ones?

Finally, can someone please get the length of the spring that the field uses – I am scared that I will miss an update or some such.

Also, (even more finally ???) I can explain my thought process (which I am running past a spring expert/spring manufacturer that I have used over the years and that I trust quite a lot). It is not 100% but it is looking like it may be possible to make a spring that has the exact same dimensions and the exact same stiffness and the exact same preload but that has a much much higher yield stress. The spring would act exactly as the current one does but it would be much harder to make the spring bend beyond its elastic range.

The McMaster spring description says “All are spring-tempered steel for heat resistance and have straight-cut ends, which allow you to bend the end coils into hook or loop ends.”

We’ll have to see what the actual yield stress is for this spring but I am encouraged after talking with this spring expert.

Anyway, let’s see what the spring guy has to say tomorrow after looking that the McMaster spring and seeing these photos.

Stay tuned.

Dr. Joe J.

Spring wrapped around a robot’s climber:
Imgur
(both the spring and the robot were perfectly ok!)

The spring is part number GE-17063 of the field component drawing and is 9 in long but this measurement is not end to end(couldn’t think of a good way to explain it and a picture is worth 1000 words) so here is a screenshot of the field component drawing the drawing also includes inner diameter, outer diameter, wire size, and pitch