Lost and Confused about Grip, Java, roboRIO, and Network Tables

Hi all,

Here are my understanding and research on Grip, Java, roboRio, and NetWorkTable. Can someone help me with a high-level diagram on whether I understand the architecture correctly?

https://s29.postimg.org/p9onirrvb/usb_robo_RIO_Setup.png

However, according to this webpage page - http://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/13503/l/681378-new-for-2017
We no longer recommend using the GRIP deploy tool for roboRIO or Raspberry PI processors due to issues seen by many teams running out of resources.

Does this mean that I can still use Grip on roboRiO, but I must use the code generated for Java instead of deployment tool?

Can someone confirm my step by step CV for dummies below? My intention is to produce a document with step-by-step instructions so that everyone can follow without any prior knowledge about CV coding, architecture and etc. Maybe there is such document out there that you can share with us.

1. Use Grip to generate Java code, see below

https://s29.postimg.org/orsv3vefr/Grip_Code_Generation.png

The Publish ContoursReport step will publish the selected values to network tables. A good way of determining exactly what’s published is to run the Outline Viewer program that’s one of the tools in the <username>/wpilib/tools directory after you installed the eclipse plugins.

1. Launch the Outline Viewer program in Eclipse plugins, see picture below. What do I need to put in the parameter box?

https://s23.postimg.org/up8eb6hyz/Outline_Viewer.png

1. Correct for the perspective distortion using OpenCV.

2. Perform calibration

3. Add some baking power and a target box will magically appear on the driver panel.

Can someone help us by providing a process flow diagram and a checklist since this is the first time that our team is planning to implement computer vision? I am certain that there are many teams also in a similar situation as us.

Your comment and guidance are greatly appreciated.
:deadhorse:

Check out team 254’s vision seminar at champs last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwOkAJqImo

To answer your question, if you want to see data coming out of the GRIP debugging, use localhost or 127.0.0.1.

A couple key points about processing the video stream:

1. Underexpose your camera. 254 goes more into detail about why in the video, but it does wonders.
  2. You can also eliminate noise by applying a gaussian blur and running cv erode followed by cv dilate (same number of iterations). I’d also use the Filter Contours block and filter by area.

Also, make sure your camera is mounted in the center of your robot. It helps so much when it comes to alignment. Also, not as important, but keeping your camera behind your center of rotation makes your perceived angle of alignment less, which eliminates oscillation.

On 687 last year, a few of these problems resulted in our vision system not working. First, the camera had a lot of latency. Make sure you take camera latency into account when you write your vision system. Also, make sure you get your drive PID loop tuned perfectly. A bad PID loop would make your drivebase spin around randomly.

I hope this helps, good luck this season!

So you are correct that running cv on the roborio is an easy option thanks to the changes in WPIlib 2017, but it isn’t the only way. There are many options for where your camera stream can come from, and where it can be processed.

1. Mjpeg feed from RoboRIO, GRIP on Driver station, Contours report returned to the RoboRIO via network tables. I would say this was the easiest way to use GRIP before the 2017 update. Pros: lots of processing power from the laptop, easy to debug by watching the GRIP pipeline. Cons: relatively high latency because the camera stream has to go over through radio.
  2. Mjpeg from the roborio, OpenCV running on a coprocessor. Deploying was the way to do this before, but now you can write a Java/C++ program to run the exported GRIP code. Pros: lower latency than Driver station without sacrificing processing power on the roboRIO. Cons: debugging is harder because you can only see the end result of the GRIP code, but not the pipeline. You can use a laptop to tune your GRIP code before you put it on the coprocessor.
  3. All vision processing done on the roboRIO, as you mentioned. Pros: 0 network latency, very easy to integrate the results of the vision processing with motion control. Cons: takes a lot of processing power away from robot control ( we haven’t tested this with the new GRIP code generation yet, so I don’t know how bad it is)
    When I talk about an Mjpeg stream, that can come from one of two places: if you have an axis camera, it creates an Mjpeg stream that’s available anywhere on the network it’s connected to. If you have a USB camera, you can use the new WPILib cameraServer to convert it to an Mjpeg stream.
    Good luck! I think people will really benefit from a beginners guide like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to use something like the Kangaroo PC, put that on robot and run GRIP on it as a coprocessor, and have the cameras plugged directly into it via usb, publishing to network tables?

That way, you get the minimal latency by keeping it all on wired LAN compared to radio, but also the power benefit of the full windows PC like the drivers station. Or is there a rule I’m missing saying the camera has to be plugged into the robo rio?

That is actually one of the recommended ways of running GRIP.

http://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/24194/l/488429-using-grip-with-a-kangaroo-computer

Thats what I figured, just wanted clarification! Thanks!

This is basically what I meant by number 2, with the caveat that you are suggesting to connect the camera directly to the coprocessor rather than to the rio. This is effectively the same in terms of latency, since the coprocessor and the rio are connected via Ethernet, but your version may be slightly easier to program.
Both ways absolutely work though.

wsh32,

Thanks for the link and I made some screen captures for quick summary point. Is there a way that I can share/attach the document to share with everyone?

These are the take away points:

1. Make sure the camera is mounted in the center of the robot
  2. Different camera & hardware have different advantages and disadvantages. Implementation is dependent on team resources. For us, we are attempting the easiest solution (roboRIO with camera) with low processing speed; however, high latency.
  3. Use library Open CV, NIVision, Grip and etc.
  4. Use HSV (hue, saturation, value) instead of RGB
  5. Turn down the exposure time as we want a dark image (don’t overexpose)
  6. Tune HUE first, then Saturation, and the Value. Look for high saturation (color intensity) and then tune V/L (brightness) to LED ring setup. If done properly, we will not need to calibrate on the field.
  7. Convert pixel coordinates into real world coordinates (angle displacement). Use coordinates as setpoint for a controller with faster sensor. In our case, we are going to use Gyro. There will be a latency issue; however, we will need to accept due to limited resources & knowledge
  8. Use a linear approximation approach of pixels to degrees. Pinhole model is more exact and will be implemented for future years.

See best bets summary below.

https://s29.postimg.org/ulsx07yk7/bestbets.png

AriMindell,
Thanks for your contribution. What are your thoughts on activating vision processing only when a button is pushed. This way we are not taking processing power away from the robot. When the robot is stopped and we are ready to line up to target then activate vision processing.

AustinShalit,

Thanks for your comments. For this thread, we are keeping it simple by implementing it on the roboRIO. In future documentation, I will attempt to document step-by-step other method and other hardware configuration.

There’s another way to do this that is embarrassingly low tech.

If you camera has manually adjustable focus, you can deliberately defocus your lens just bit to get a bit of optical blur. You lose a little bit of crispness near the edges of the target, but if you are just trying to find the center of a blob with very coarse shape filtering (ex. size or aspect ratio) it doesn’t have a significant effect on accuracy.

That sounds perfectly doable to me, but you should still expect to be dealing with a small amount of latency. One easy solution to this is latency correction as discussed in the 254 lecture someone already linked here. Some latency correction support is available for the navX using the sf2 framework.