Luminary: Game Hint?

Ok all,

I am posting from my phone but did anyone else see how the guest speakers were called LUMINARIES on the recent FIRST facebook post? Hint anyone?

how would you classify that large range of people? I think Luminary fits nicely.

But notice how the FB post even calls attention to the word as a word of the day.

Luminary:

1. a celestial body, as the sun or moon.
  2. a body, object, etc., that gives light.
  3. a person who has attained eminence in his or her field or is an inspiration to others
  4. of, pertaining to, or characterized by light.

Maybe… light sensors? Lasers? May be related to the Kinect…

The entire game is a promotion for FIRST lightbulbs.

You heard it here first.

The entire game is a promotion for FIRST lightbulbs.

You heard it here first.

I bet it is this! http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/headlines/first-green-e-watt-saver
Those sneaky advertisements…

Each alliance has two cases of 24 2nd gen. FIRST LED bulbs in the driver’s station. There are 96 1st gen. individual boxes at the center of the game field. Robots score points in autonomous by clearing 1st Gen. bulbs from Center field and move them into a safe zone. During tele-op play teams will deploy mini-bots to climb one of a 16 light poles ( 4 x 4 grid pattern) in a simulated street environment where they change a standard filament bulb out of a fixture with either a 1st or 2nd gen. FIRST LED Bulb. (Did I mention that these are unique to the Luminary game with a special red or blue filter attached to the bulb face.) As a throw back to Triple Play, Teams not only earn points for installing a lightbulb but also connecting a row of 4 in their color. (GDC argued over a connect four game reference but since FIRST is a triad logo and Milton Bradly games inc wouldn’t lease the name to FIRST for a $1.00 it was decided that Luminary was the name.)

The end game strategy for super deluxe points is … cannot be determined from the information supplied as of 1:30 PM EST, January 5, 2012.:smiley:

Fix your link

You know what, that’s actually a pretty good thought! LEDs are greener than incandescent, and they recently made a lot of progress on green lightbulbs and technology (especially in India, where solar is an economically and environmentally friendly (How solar power can help the billion people without electricity | Solar power | The Guardian), and with all the green conferences, it would make sense to have a green challenge!

It may be a bit of a stretch, but looking at the KOP, a lot of it includes LEDs and/or DC power, both of which are green (the DC in small electronics is more efficient), but I’ve never really looked at the KOP much, is the stuff usually DC?

I was actually just kidding. The LEDs in the sampled KOP are mostly the things which repeat year to year. And yes, pretty much all of the LEDs are usually DC if I remember correctly.

OK, gang, you read it here first. The game is going to be called “Luminosity” and is going to involve lights, and darkness, and be insanely cool to play and watch. (JMHO) The entire thing won’t be played in darkness (too hard, and hard for the spectators, even if the robots have lights on them), but there will be some aspect of it that involves darkness (perhaps a tunnel that the robots have to navigate?).

Maybe glowing tennis balls.

No water, though.

Wait, e-watt? The letter ‘e’ that Bill misspelled over and over in his posts? Interesting…

We forgot that Luminary can also mean “a celestial body, as the sun or moon”. We have to obtain the moon. That’s it whoever gets to the moon FIRST wins.

Not another Lunacy…