Entry level:
Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
13" Widescreen Glossy Screen
Built in iSight camera
2x256MB RAM
60GB 5400RPM HD
DVD-ROM, CD-RW
Only $1099

With Bootcamp out now, I probably would have purchased this instead of my HP when I was shopping.

Did anyone else notice that the pricing for the black Macbook is $1500 while the mid-range white one is $1300, however the only difference I can see by looking at the tech specs page is an 80 GB hard drive versus a 60 GB one. If you go to the store, however, and configure the white one the upgrade from 60 to 80 is only an additional $100. Am I missing some additional features?

$1100 is cheap?

I got an HP/Compaq 6 months ago with more memory + a larger LCD for $600

Opening bid for us college students is $1049. :smiley:

Either way, I’ll be passing on this one. Let Apple sort out the inevitable kinks in the first generation, then it’ll really scream.

Does it have a Core Duo/OSX. The nice thing about the macbook is that its a really powerful machine, You won’t be gaming much on the Intel graphics but the processor its self is worth $300. The factor that makes it worth the extra $500 is the functionality of OSX and the lack of spyware/viruses that you get with windows. If you pay for the apple care that machine will last you a good 3-4 years.

Even if you don’t pay for AppleCare, it’ll last you for many years. Even more as an email-and-word-processing machine.

The average mac user (based from experience working at the store) keeps their machine a good 3-4 years before needing anything bigger than very minor upgrades. Yes, there are failures, but again this is an estimated average, and is based on my experiences (as well as some of the people I work with).

My son got a G4 while he was in HS. A few months after the 1 year warranty expired the onboard LAN failed. He used a LAN card to keep it on the network.

A few months later the whole mother board went up in smoke. Id say about 16 months after it was new. Replacement mother board was something like $350 - and thats assuming nothing on the board (processor, memory…) was destroyed when it blew. Its sitting on a shelf in the basement - 50 feet of rope and it will make a nice boat anchor.

That was the last thing we bought from apple. When you buy those extended warranties you are more or less paying for the replacement parts upfront (whether you actually end up needing them or not).

Sexy keyboard and no latch. Ooo-la-la! :wink:

BTW, what’s bigger news, this, or Mythbusters on the iTMS! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ken, I understand your pain, but it is felt with every computer manufacturer. The truth is that laptops don’t last well under regular use. I have had a dell and a Toshiba laptop and have had major problems with both (causing costly repairs). It seems like everyone has horror stories with laptop manufacturers these days. I have just heard much better stories about apple’s customer care (if you get the extended service +$$$), than what I received with both dell and Toshiba. With Toshiba they had my computer in for repairs for 3 months and 29 days (2 more days and they would have had to give me a new comp). To me it seems that Apple makes better products, and take better care of their customers. (No, I have never bought an Apple computer, but my next purchase will most likely be a Macbook Pro)

This is certainly not the first time I have heard of problems like this. Like Jonathan said though, these things happen with all computer manufacturers. Jonathan had it happen to his Toshiba. A good friend of mine literally had his new Gateway laptop melt only 15 days out of warranty (Gateway told him there was “nothing they could do for him”). Traditionally, though problems certainly do occur, Apple is very good about caring for them. They try to take the best care of customers that they can. Purchasing AppleCare is your own decision; the sales people try their best to outline the benefits of having it, especially on a portable computer, but if you decide not to get it they’re not going to force you or lie to you as is the case with some other retailers. Apple’s policy is that they gave you the opportunity, if you decide of your own will not to purchase the additional warranty they can’t cover problems like that. It is a terrible coincidence for it to occur just outside of warranty, but these things do happen. I always recommend that people purchase the AppleCare as, in the majority of cases, they will be happy they did, if only for the phone technical support.

I have owned many different computers over the years and have compared my experiences with technical support services for a number of different manufacturers. I would say that the worst experience was certainly the old Compaq service (though they have improved with the HP buyout), followed by Packard Bell. Above those two were Gateway, then Dell, then IBM. Apple has always been much more helpful for any problems (software, hardware, or otherwise) that I have had, and that is from a user standpoint. Please know that I am trying to be unbiased, despite being an Apple employee, however hard that may be. I hope this helps, I’m sorry you’ve had bad experiences in the past and I wouldn’t be shocked if you wished not to purchase any further Apple products. Still, you may want to give them another shot, at least some time in the future.

That was quick…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pealco/sets/72057594136649292/

Must be an awfully small boat. The rope will weigh more than the anchor! :slight_smile: G4 Powerbooks are known for their lightweight properties.

Totally different experience with Macs. In 21 years, I have owned 5 different models, and all continue to run. Three (iMac G3, iBook G3 and Powerbook G4) are used on a daily basis. The other two (FatMac 512k and Performa 475) work perfectly, but are obsolete for modern programs.

Only one that had to go into the shop was the iBook G3 (which I bought secondhand), and that was for a factory recall to replace the motherboard free of charge.

It would be wonderful if every appliance/tool I purchase lasted as long!

My HP Pavilion zv5000 cost me $1,150 :frowning:

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2x256MB RAM
80GB 5400RPM HD
15.4" Widescreen Glossy LCD
CD/DVD-RW

maybe I got the model number wrong. The apple that went up in smoke was a Mac tower (~$2400) - I thought it was a G4, maybe it was a G3?

Ive been using PCs since the first ones came out back in the 80’s, and Ive never had a motherboard fail like that. I think a few memory sticks, a couple hard drives that went south

but heres the thing, with a desk top PC I could get a new motherboard for less than $100, easily - or upgrade to a newer processor and board and keep everything else for a couple hundred dollars.

This Applecare thing - all you are doing is paying even more for an already expensive computer, right? If the Apple sales guy is telling you 'you really want the extended warranty" then what is he saying about Apple quality?

This is seems to be a pretty good computer at a solid price. Some goodtech specs with it too.

However I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying it, unless you really needed it. The best is yet to come in the Apple x86 transition, including but not limited to Intel Viiv, better virtualization technology, and many more things in Leopard. It would be like buying a first generation iPod, while it was nice, it didn’t have the infrastructure that the iPods have today.

I agree with Ken here. The only thing I use that’s an Apple is my iPod. And even then, it died on me after a year of use. Luckily, I had purchased the 2 year apple care plan for it. Had I not, I would have been screwed and would have to buy a new one.

If I were getting a mac, I would buy the longest warranty possible for it.

However, I wouldn’t buy a mac, just because I want my computer to do more than graphics, video editting, music, etc. - I want to play games. And I don’t care what any mac user says - you really can’t do that on a mac. Maybe soon because of the Windows booting ability, but on a straight mac you just can’t game.

However - this laptop looks pretty decent. Still pricey though. Gimme a call when Apple sells a notebook for under a thousand and we’ll talk.

Anyone else think those new commercials are just stupid? Clearly macs are for hip young people while windows based machines are for old, non tech savy people…

I close with a funny CTRL+ALT+DEL comic that shouldn’t be clicked on unless you’re okay with a bit of foul language - Here

Because we’re talking about laptops, don’t switch the topics and then switch the comments we made. It’s SMART to buy warranties for laptops, no matter WHO makes them.

There was a time last summer when Apple sold a $999 iBook. Of course, it only had 256 MB of RAM and a CD-ROM drive (yes, you read right) and was aimed squarely at education, but I digress.

Actually, I got the opposite from the commercials–that Macs are just as much for the tech-savvy as the non-tech-savvy (see also: the digital camera commercial). My mom rolls her eyes whenever I preach the gospel of Steve, though.

The G3/4/5 designations refer to the generation of processor used in the machine. It’s possible that it was either of those two, depending on when you purchased it. Judging by the price you stated it was most likely a PowerBook.

It’s definitely possible to have computers last those lengths, however it is also possible to have machines fail. I stated the two earlier examples. I have also had hardware failures of my own including (but not limited to) a motherboard failure, a faulty power supply, a sound input bus failure, multiple hard drive failures, a 3D acceleration failure on a video card due to faulty capacitors, etc. All of those were on PCs.

I do agree with you that the cost of replacing hardware outside of warranty is certainly lower for PCs though. Still, while failures certainly do happen, they aren’t as common as one might think for any manufacturer.

I wouldn’t say that. Every computer manufacturer and retailer provides some sort of warranty support, as well as an optional extended warranty. This is not limited Apple. If they didn’t cover the product at all after the purchase date, then I would agree with you that there was an issue. The length of time that a company decide it is cost effective for them to cover the product varies greatly among the many well-known computer companies, as well as the lesser-known ones. I feel that, while it seems short in comparison to some others, Apple’s policy is generally fair and of decent length.