Mafia Championship - Nominations

mafia

We have been invited to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship!

Here’s the full text of the invitation (it’s long, so if you don’t want to read the entire thing I’ll summarize all the important bits below):

Full Invite Text

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :slight_smile:

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :slight_smile:

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Thingyman as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 6 FORMAT

The tournament structure

• 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
  • WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Mad17

The setup is called Mad17 and features 17 players.

13x Town

4x Mafia

Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player’s alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.

Relevant mechanics info

• Day start

• Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player’s exact role when they die.

• Majority is not in effect.

• Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.

• Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.

• Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.

• Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.

• Mafia may communicate at any time.

• Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.

• Each individual player may make a maximum of 200 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).

• The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE

There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,

Thingyman

What is the Mafia Championship?

The Mafia Championship is a cross-community event pulling hundreds of players from various Forum Mafia communities to determine the “best FM player of the year”. It blends the competitive nature of the game with the networking opportunities granted by such an expansive experience, allowing people to make new friends and meet new communities through the world’s largest Forum Mafia event. Players of all sorts from all kinds of sites are able to play with each other to learn from each other and strive to win the title of Champion.

What is the tournament setup?

Each community picks one representative to send. All games are played on Mafia Universe, and will be moderated automatically by a bot. There are qualifier games, each with different day and night lengths, throughout the months of April, May, and June, from which a player voted as the MVP will advance directly to the finals. All runners-up for MVP, as well as 23 other players voted on by a jury, will advance to one of two Wildcard games in July to determine the three MVPs from each game, who will round out the final six slots in the Finals in August or September. After the Finals game has ended, the players vote on a MVP to be crowned the Season 6 Champion.

What is the game setup?

This year’s game is extremely interesting! While the past few years have focused on low-power setups, even running mountainous in Season 4 (only Citizens vs only Goons), this year’s setup, titled “Mad17”, features only power roles. However, there are several twists on the usual formula. Majority is disabled, so days will always last the full length before the player with the most votes at the very end of the day is eliminated. When a player is eliminated or killed, only their alignment (Town/Mafia) is revealed, not their role. In addition, each of the 17 possible roles is able to be either Town or Mafia - in other words, the random rolls to determine your alignment and your role are entirely unrelated. Lastly, each role is limited to using its actions to specific nights, as shown in this chart:

Mad17 Role Chart

What does our representative need?

First of all, in order to be a representative, you need to be willing to commit to being active in your game/games over the course of the summer. If you do not make the required minimum number of meaningful posts on any given day, you will be removed from the game. Additionally, MU is also a lot stricter than we are here on the rules, so you must commit to reading them, following them, and not discussing the game anywhere with anyone until it is over, no matter how much you think it couldn’t possibly hurt.

The invitation cites that representatives should be willing to read around 600 posts per 24 hours, and that those who are not willing/able to do so should consider not applying. Personally, I’ve been in games with a much higher post volume, so although I don’t want to scare anyone away, do be aware that you may end up having to read even more posts per day than that in the early parts of the game.

However, our representative is also responsible for choosing which games to apply for. As games start throughout the months of April, May, and June, it is possible to be busy for a sizeable chunk of those months and still participate by choosing an earlier or later starting time. Additionally, the phase lengths of each game may be different - generally, games will run with phases as low as 12-hour days and 12-hour nights to phases as long as 72-hour days and 24-hour nights. Choose whatever you feel most comfortable participating in.

Should the Representative be chosen to move on to either a Wildcard game or the Finals, they will need to be available for those as well. The Wildcard games are expected to run in July, while the finals should run in August or September, depending on players’ schedules.

Although it is not required, I also encourage anybody who wishes to be our representative to participate in one of the pre-season practice games held on Mafia Universe. Their forum is formatted quite differently than ours, and becoming familiar with the setup and the automoderator will help the transition into the Championship game much easier. It may also be a good idea to play in at least one or two other MU games if there is time before your Championship game, to continue building a feel for the site and its meta.

How will we choose a representative?

Because I have done all of this before, am currently the de facto liason to other communities, and was the one who contacted MU to apply for an invite for CD, I will be running the process of selecting a representative. However, it will be an entirely democratic process.

Nominations
Nominations will be open starting immediately and ending at 2019-04-06T03:59:00Z. To nominate a player, the following requirements must be met:

• All nominations must be submitted directly to me via Private Message.
  • The nominating player must have been a participant in at least one game of FRC Mafia. The full list of FRC Mafia games may be found here.
  • The nominated player must have participated in at least one completed (non-canned) game of FRC Mafia. They do not need to have been the victor of a game.
  • You may nominate no more than two players.
  • You may not nominate yourself.

You may discuss nominations with others here or elsewhere, but are not required to disclose who you are nominating if you do not wish to. I will hold on to my two nominations, and may nominate anybody I feel deserves a nomination after the other, private nominations have all been submitted. Once all nominations have been submitted, those nominated will be revealed and may accept their nominations. There is no advantage to receiving multiple nominations.

Accepting Nominations
Once nominations have been revealed, all nominated players will have until 2019-04-08T03:59:00Z to either accept or deny their nomination. There is no shame in denying a nomination, and may be done if you will be unable to participate in the championships or do not wish to for any reason. After all candidates have accepted or denied their nominations, voting will begin.

Voting
The way voting occurs will be based on the number of players that accepted nominations. The exact method is subject to change up until voting starts, but I anticipate there will be two rounds of voting. During the first round, you will likely be able to vote for as many players as you would support to be our representative. The top players from this vote will move on to the second round, which will run on a different voting method that ultimately leaves only one representative (either FPTP or STV, dependent on the number of players left at this stage). More details on this will be given next weekend. The chosen representative will represent Chief Delphi in Season 6 of the MafiaUniverse Championships.

Backup Representative
Whoever comes in second place in voting may choose to take the place of our Backup Representative. If our Representative must drop out for any reason, the Backup Representative will take their place in the Mafia Championship. Much like nominations, the spot of Backup Representative may be denied by a player for any reason. If this occurs, the third place player will be offered the spot, and so on.

If I’m not the Representative, how can I participate?

There will likely be a spectator Discord set up, where you may discuss the games with other players if you wish. Additionally, I believe that the pre-Season practice games will be open to any player that wishes to participate, so don’t be afraid to make an account on Mafia Universe and join in to get a taste for the setup this year. The Championship is a great time to meet other players on other sites and improve as a Mafia player.

Good luck all!

1 Like

FRC M6 Game Signups!
[Game 1] FRC Mafia 4 - Popcorn Mafia
FRCM5 Thread
FRC Mafia 3 Game Thread
FRC Mafia 2 - Day 3 [9/13]
FRC M6 Game Thread
[Game 2] FRC Mafia 4 - Popcorn Mafia
[Game 1 v2] FRCM4 - Popcorn Mafia
[Game 3] FRC Mafia 4 - Popcorn Mafia

This is amazing!!! I’m so exited for however gets sent!

0 Likes

Nice! Who to send?

0 Likes

Whoever y’all think is most likely to win and/or represent our community the best

0 Likes

Can we send you…

1 Like

personally, I think @brandn03 is a good candidate as they were amazing in the last game faking being town.

1 Like

I’m flattered! But…

I’m not sure I’m up for that type of commitment. I’ll be vacationing a lot during that time frame and spending time with the family after robotics season.

1 Like

No

I refuse :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

damn I was going to nominate you too. If I couldn’t I wanted you to

1 Like

Oh yeah

For those who don’t know

I was a rep in Season 5

If you have any questions about the process hit me up

1 Like

I know! Let’s nominate @EricKline!

0 Likes

I will, however, happily try (and probably fail)
Dunno what my schedule is like tho. I’m really only saying this because it’s apparently a requirement for me to be able to finally prove @orangeandblack5 is mafia. :wink:

0 Likes

Reminder that all nominatons go through me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not playing, so I don’t know what you mean lol

0 Likes

I think I was complaining about it in either FRC M3 or FRC M4.

0 Likes

Oh damn I wanted to go :cry:

1 Like

Why cant you?

0 Likes

He can, @gellnick was being rude lol

Tbh if orangeandblack and brandn are busy then @EricKline is probably a decent nomination

1 Like

I’m not even eligible lmao

0 Likes

Haven’t played a single game lol

0 Likes