Mandy Moore..................

the closing ceremony this year left some mixed feelings didn’t it…for me mostly hunger…

I thought it was really funny that when they anounced that Mandy Moore was going to perform people just started pooring out and into epcot. I think this proved that FIRST is wrong about our taste in music. so i am thinking, did everyone leave because they were hungry or because they didn’t want to listen to Mandy?or did you stay and watch? what were your thoughts?

I left because her music is very bad, i hate pop music and so does over 75% of the FIRST community (i belive). If they get a band next year i’d recommend a ska band like Five Iron Frenzy, 10 minutes down, Supertones, or Buck-o-Nine.

She was definately a step in getting FIRST to be recognized by the masses. Any positive publicity such as getting big name stars such as Mandy Moore is a good thing. As for the choice, she wasn’t my first choice but, it was hysterical standing in the back of the stands and watching one giant crowd head towards the exit to Epcot and the other crowd rushing the stage to see Mandy Moore! Too funny!

As for me I was going to get into the team party and didn’t want to wait till the concert was over since I paid my $30.00 to get into the party!

I personally don’t like her music but I do like the inclusion of big name people such as her and Will Smith. I think it would have been nicer to have a couple of musicians do only one song each that way all the masses could have been satisfied and more publicity could be brought to FIRST. I myself am a Prodigy and Daft Punk fan but I am sure I will never see them on a FIRST stage let alone the US anytime soon.

*Originally posted by Sunny Thaper *
** I think it would have been nicer to have a couple of musicians do only one song each that way all the masses could have been satisfied and more publicity could be brought to FIRST. **

While this would have been nice, you also have to look at it from a monetary standpoint. Without getting into another argument over exactly how much money Disney does or doesn’t make from us being there, the fact is that it is cheaper to get 1 artist in to do 4 songs than it is to get 4 artists to do 1 song each…

*Originally posted by Nate Smith *

While this would have been nice, you also have to look at it from a monetary standpoint. Without getting into another argument over exactly how much money Disney does or doesn’t make from us being there, the fact is that it is cheaper to get 1 artist in to do 4 songs than it is to get 4 artists to do 1 song each… **
Mandy Moore was there as a volunteer though and Will Smith was too so I am guessing more artists would do this as volunteer work. So price isn’t a problem in my eyes.

hrm yeah i dont think they could go with one of your christian bands you recomended, plenty of people would raise hell and leave just the same as this year.

*Originally posted by Sunny Thaper *
**Mandy Moore was there as a volunteer though /COLOR]

Was she getting paid for the event? It wasn’t clear to me. It would be very interesting to know as I think FIRST (and Disney) could spend their money in better ways (like those flame throwers from last year…) :wink:

Matt**

I believe disney completely owns the rights to and or mandy moore, but if they were to pay an artist, a punk or ska band would be the best way to go. Ska bands play concerts for dirt cheap, usually tickets are 10 or 15 bucks per person for no more than 500 people (split between the 2 or 3 bands that play). Big name pop stars play for thousands of people at 30 or 40 bucks a pop. Go with Catch 22 they rock hard!

It also becomes a question of approperianess (i know that spellings mess up).

Remember last year at the Nats, and they played a rap video when there were technical diffuculties?

Even couple cuss words would make the event PG-13, and we all know Disney is firmly in the G catagory…

Any FIRST bands, perhaps:D?

It also becomes a question of approperianess (i know that spellings mess up).

I think thats why Mandy was chosen to sing…it is somewhat a family event…families do attend with younger children…i mean, I think FIRST will continue to bring family orientated performers to sing or whatever at the end…sorry to disappoint everyone…but it looks like Pop music is going to continue at FIRST

I think FIRST needs to remember that it is OUR team party.

They should play what the people in the competition want to hear…We are the ones paying $5000 to get into the comp, we’re the ones paying to come to Florida…The lost of what we pay goes on and on…

I can understand them wanting to make the competition appealing to the public, but realistically here this is OUR competition, not the publics’.

I dont know if all of you know this but when we were in orlando there was Grad night going on. And what it is is basically our team party for high school seniors who are graduating. And they have performances going on. Im pretty sure that Mandy Moore is one of thoes acts, so as opposed to playing at grad night she played for us. It was probably cheaper for Disney to have mandy play rather than one of thoes big laser light firework video whing that we all know and love.

Andrew

*Originally posted by asher *
**hrm yeah i dont think they could go with one of your christian bands you recomended, plenty of people would raise hell and leave just the same as this year. **

I only mentioned 2 christan bands, I am not a religous person but i still love these bands, you don’t have to be all goddly to like christan ska, for some reason the christan bands just do it very well. Anyway there’s always 10 minutes down who would do it for free as long as they got some transportation and passes to the parks.

Whats wrong with some Christian bands? Just because they dont sing about drugs, sex, or violence and do not use profanity does not mean they are no good. And i think their ideals are more in line with the ideals of FIRST than some bands that sing about questionable causes.

Whats wrong with some Christian bands? Just because they dont sing about drugs, sex, or violence and do not use profanity does not mean they are no good. And i think their ideals are more in line with the ideals of FIRST than some bands that sing about questionable causes.

P.S. Kane i agree, the Supertones rock. I have seen them in concert 5 times and each time they put on a great show.

maybe the hippos if you dont want to go the christian way, but still want a good band with out profanity sex violence and such.

*Originally posted by Sean_330 *
**Whats wrong with some Christian bands? Just because they dont sing about drugs, sex, or violence and do not use profanity does not mean they are no good. And i think their ideals are more in line with the ideals of FIRST than some bands that sing about questionable causes.

P.S. Kane i agree, the Supertones rock. I have seen them in concert 5 times and each time they put on a great show. **

I belive what she ment was that not everyone is christan and it would be disrespectful to promote a religon that not everyone is. the one thing i hate most are christans (extreamests, basically every religon applies to this but im just using christans because its part of the subject at hand) that think that everyone should convert to their religon because their right and im wrong. Not that these bands will do that but its just like the message that first is sending

Ok… You can’t go wrong with New Found Glory… they would definitely own the stage… or throw a techno DJ up there… say… DJ Illusion, DJ Keoki, Prodigy, DJ Summerjoy (philly local)… make the closing ceremony area into a big dance floor… that’d be super chill… Imagine Crystal Meth spinnin in that huge area with lasers and schtuff goin all around… i think i’d breakdown and die… nothin beats some good techno…

Personally i think what they have done in the past is awsome. For thoes of you who forgot or just dont know, they weoul have some crazy lazers and dancers and fireworks. And on the big screen they would play a video compilation of the competition and they play music and have a real cool animation of the “magic kingdom” It was awsome and i missed it this year, it was by far an awsome way to finish the year off. I rember the goosebumps it gave me.

Andrew