Many inexpensive playing fields

Posted by Frank Toussaint, Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling and Rolling Meadows and Motorola .

Posted on 5/6/99 11:47 AM MST

For qualifying matches we don’t need a stage or large grandstand. Consider putting the playing field right on the ground, having only small bleachers, and have many such playing fields. This would offer the following advantages:

1. FIRST could plan as many playing fields as they wanted to get a desired number of matches conducted within a desired amount of time.
  2. Since there are many matches at one time this will further reduce the size of the bleachers needed at each playing field.
  3. With spectators spread out among many sets of bleachers, everyone will have a good seat. (No one should be allowed to kneel or stand between the playing field and the bleachers. Reserve the first few rows of the bleachers for the teams that are playing.)
  4. Both the playing field and bleachers could be small enough to be indoors. (No more sitting in bright sunlight watching a match conducted in the dimness of the shade. No more sunburn. Rain? Ha! let it pour!)
  5. As FIRST grows each year just add more playing fields. No need to restrict the number of teams attending the (inter)nationals.
  6. There could be more qualifying matches per team! (And more practice rounds.)
  7. As FIRST grows there could be 32 or 64 or more alliances in the elimination matches. This would take more time on Saturday but that’s OK. We can finish the qualifying matches on Friday if there are enough playing fields. Alternatively, many elimination matches could be held simultaneously.

The downside:

1. FIRST would need more officials, playing field assemblers, etc.

Can you think of any other pros and cons?

Posted by Mike King, Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 5/6/99 5:13 PM MST

In Reply to: Many inexpensive playing fields posted by Frank Toussaint on 5/6/99 11:47 AM MST:

: For qualifying matches we don’t need a stage or large grandstand. Consider putting the playing field right on the ground, having only small bleachers, and have many such playing fields. This would offer the following advantages:
: 1) FIRST could plan as many playing fields as they wanted to get a desired number of matches conducted within a desired amount of time.
: 2) Since there are many matches at one time this will further reduce the size of the bleachers needed at each playing field.
: 3) With spectators spread out among many sets of bleachers, everyone will have a good seat. (No one should be allowed to kneel or stand between the playing field and the bleachers. Reserve the first few rows of the bleachers for the teams that are playing.)
: 4) Both the playing field and bleachers could be small enough to be indoors. (No more sitting in bright sunlight watching a match conducted in the dimness of the shade. No more sunburn. Rain? Ha! let it pour!)
: 5) As FIRST grows each year just add more playing fields. No need to restrict the number of teams attending the (inter)nationals.
: 6) There could be more qualifying matches per team! (And more practice rounds.)
: 7) As FIRST grows there could be 32 or 64 or more alliances in the elimination matches. This would take more time on Saturday but that’s OK. We can finish the qualifying matches on Friday if there are enough playing fields. Alternatively, many elimination matches could be held simultaneously.

: The downside:
: 1) FIRST would need more officials, playing field assemblers, etc.

: Can you think of any other pros and cons?

Were we on field 31 or field 21? Which way is field 6??

Seriously, it would confuse the living bejebbers outta teams on where they should be, never mind the traffic nightmare it would create with FIRST trying to cooridnate all the fields.

Also, your forgetting something. Each field, (in this yeas comp) needs 4 Rnet’s each. There would be a ceiling on how many Rnet’s (or similar devices) FIRST could afford, and i’m not sure how many channels are in the spectrum.

Mike

Posted by Sean Kim, Student on team #115 from Monta Vista High School and NASA Ames.

Posted on 5/7/99 4:51 PM MST

In Reply to: I 've got a con posted by Mike King on 5/6/99 5:13 PM MST:

I think he didn’t mean 30 or 40 playing fields.

We had 4 playing field this year. If we bring it up to 8 fields that means we can implement 12 practice matches for all the teams.

RNets…I am sure they can afford it.

kison

Posted by Frank Toussaint, Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling and Rolling Meadows and Motorola .

Posted on 5/7/99 5:07 PM MST

In Reply to: I 've got a con posted by Mike King on 5/6/99 5:13 PM MST:

: Seriously, it would confuse the living bejebbers outta teams on where they should be, never mind the traffic nightmare it would create with FIRST trying to cooridnate all the fields.

: Also, your forgetting something. Each field, (in this yeas comp) needs 4 Rnet’s each. There would be a ceiling on how many Rnet’s (or similar devices) FIRST could afford, and i’m not sure how many channels are in the spectrum.

Mike,

Don’t sell these teams short; they will find the playing field.

FIRST has not had to purchase Rnets; Motorola (my employer) has donated them. I believe they have 800 channels.

Below are the number of teams participating in the nationals plus a projection given a 37 percent annual growth rate:
1992 28
1993 25
1994 44
1995 48
1996 74
1997 113
1998 166
1999 203
2000 278
2001 381
2002 522
2003 715
2004 980
2005 1342
2006 1839
2007 2519
2008 3451
2009 4728
2010 6478
2011 8874
2012 12158
2013 16657
2014 22819
2015 31263
2016 42830
2017 58677
2018 80387
2019 110130
2020 150879

Posted by Mike King, Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 5/7/99 5:59 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: I 've got a con posted by Frank Toussaint on 5/7/99 5:07 PM MST:

: 2000 278

: 2007 2519

I guess Dean’s plans for 2000 in 2000 isn’t gonna happen. I’ll stay optimistic thou. :slight_smile:

Mike

Posted by Joe Johnson, Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 5/6/99 8:07 PM MST

In Reply to: Many inexpensive playing fields posted by Frank Toussaint on 5/6/99 11:47 AM MST:

It seems almost like you are proposing a sort of FIRST Gus Macker Tournament.

I don’t know if I like it, but it has it’s potential.

Joe J.