Match Specific Music

I Just thought up a great idea for next years competition that would be a lot of fun and not too hard to implemement. What if teams could pick what music they wanted playing in match #xx. I know there will probably be four teams playing at once but I haven’t looked into that much detail yet.

Or at least if certain music for a matches was not requestable, perhaps teams could know what’s playing ahead of time.

I know my team has a song we always win by probably along with a lot of other teams too.

Wouldn’t it be cool if you could have that played during your match?

As for alliances and opponents in a match, perhaps it could be worked out where each team gets to choose the music for only x number of ther matches.

What do you think of this?

It could happen :yikes:

I know 180 gets “Wierd Al” Yankovic’s “SPAM” played for them every once in a while during their matches.

I’m not sure if they request that, or if it’s just the incredibly original wit of the DJs.

George

Most DJ’s at FIRST competitions are pretty cool, If you request a song to be played during a match and they have it, then they will usually play it for you!

You just have to ask in advance!

In other words; Been There, Done That!! Still cool though!!

Last year we got our theme song played in one of our matches. At first it was really cool. However, we stunk up the place in that match. It became ironic.

They’ve played Who Let The Dogs Out for us, at a few competitions.

During the 2000 Nationals, “We Like to Party” was played at every single one of our matches. I think the DJ hated us.

Matt

I remember two years ago, we tried asking the DJ to play our team song during our match. He said he would, but later we found out that his cd player had a problem reading my burned cd… sounds a lot like the cd player in my car, but that’s for a whole different thread completely. Point is, if you request it (and possibly have a team mate go to the DJ when your match is up and remind him), he probably will.

I was just suggesting that maybe there would be a way to have it more organized well in advanced rather than “somebody going up and asking”

eh, personally I think if it was organized, with 4 teams in a match, ~2 min of music time per match… well, it would just be a matter of time till the fists started to roll. You have better chances by just asking the DJ yourselves.

A few little things I’d like to see:
Teams required to submit a 5 second intro recording. During announcing the teams before a match, instead of the announcer stating all the info, this 5 sec recording would be played.
Also, the team could submit a song, and the highest ranked team during a match has their song played…
I think that FIRST should have an improved way of having each team depict itself, such as making their own intro “sounds”
It’d be cool…
A video entry would be too tricky… maybe just a picture that is displayed while the sound plays. They could have live transition effects, like spiral zoom, diagonal wipe, and go between shots of the teams, and their intros.

That would be a really cool idea, personally I think on my team, in honor of our prez last year and the fact that we all seem to love the song would be the lowrider song, you know the one from gone in sixty seconds the 2000 version

Yeah, gotta love the lowrider.
My team is mostly composed of a small group of friend who just got together, were really into that kinda thing I guess.
I wish we had a direct link to first to submit suggestions. I know they have the forum, but I think it’d’d be weird just saying “We thought it’d be a neat idea for each team to make a 5 sec. intro recording”.
Plus FIRST would Have to have more control with the DJs. I Know at the VCU regional, they just hire a local DJ, I know the guy who’s done it for the past few years.
Yeah, It’d be cool…
-yawn-

*Originally posted by Sachiel7 *
**Yeah, gotta love the lowrider.
My team is mostly composed of a small group of friend who just got together, were really into that kinda thing I guess.
I wish we had a direct link to first to submit suggestions. I know they have the forum, but I think it’d’d be weird just saying “We thought it’d be a neat idea for each team to make a 5 sec. intro recording”.
Plus FIRST would Have to have more control with the DJs. I Know at the VCU regional, they just hire a local DJ, I know the guy who’s done it for the past few years.
Yeah, It’d be cool…
-yawn- **

Posting here and the persistence of this thread are good ways to get noticed by FIRST. Many FIRST personel read this forum and there are more readers that are on Regional Organizing committees.

Now whether the ability to do something like this could be integrated into the sound system and just how it would be done are completely diferent questions altogether. The chief thing in my mind is how do we make sure the correct sound bite is played for each robot? Especially since the DJ probably has no clue about what’s going on.

Maybe they could integrate it into the Competition Controller? Like, have a PC with all the team’s sounds for that regional, and the controller would lineup the next 4 team’s sound, and assign them to 4 buttons, like Blue One, Blue Two, etc, and have an LCD by each button that shows the team number for that button. That way, the announcer could say “Blue team #1, yadda-yadda from so-and-so high” and the competition operator would hear the number and hit the button, triggering the sound. Or just be integrated in some way.
Maybe Dave Lavery will catch wind of this thread? I worked with him a good bit while we were partnering with Herndon in 2002, but lately he hasn’t been around here from what I’ve seen…

Don’t forget that FIRST has an approved play list that is suppose to be followed. All songs would have to be approved ahead of time. Haven’t you noticed that there are sooo many songs the same at FIRST events?

Yeah, But I also think that maybe the teams would submit a song. They could make their own music (like I do) to play during the match. Or they could choose from a list FIRST sends out. The songs would have to contain no lyrics, probably. And be approved, just in case.
But I was mainly just thinking about the team intro thing. I wish they did something like That.
Now of course, the 3D entries are sorta like a cool way to represent your team on the big screen, but they rarely ever get played, and usually don’t get to everyone.

BTW, everyone, get on your 3D glasses for this years RAPTAR 3D entry!
We’re submitting ours with a pair of glasses for a reason…
I just hope they let us…

*Originally posted by George1083 *
**I know 180 gets “Wierd Al” Yankovic’s “SPAM” played for them every once in a while during their matches.

I’m not sure if they request that, or if it’s just the incredibly original wit of the DJs.

George **

It was requested - we brought them the CD. Kinda hard to break dance to, though.