materials

what materials can we use for the bumpers on our robot if any?:confused:

Bumpers? Wha? Our ‘bumper’ is made out of aluminum. Well…actually, it’s the frame. Needless to say, we don’t have a bumper (and never have…and never plan on it :D) I think I’ve seen people use fun-noodles, though. I’m not really sure. Just build your bot rugged so it can take a few hits :slight_smile:

bumpers usually just get shredded…i wouldn’t advise using them personally

*jeremy

yeah, last year our bumpers got shredded to pieces. We have remnants hanging in there, but they were a nuisance. What we did that was really effective was cover our bot with lexan. Its kinda expensive but REALLY strong and sturdy. I think its the stuff thta they make bullet proof glass out of…

This is probably the most important part about what you can make them out of:

Bumpers and any bumper mounts that extend beyond the regular robot starting size may not contain “hard” materials such as metal, wood, or hard plastics. The definition of “hard” is one of common sense, i.e., if you can punch it and not hurt your hand, it is ok.

Check out the hyperrules site for the info about bumpers: http://hyperrules.chiefdelphi.com/viewrule.php?ruleid=165

*Originally posted by narenr *
**yeah, last year our bumpers got shredded to pieces. We have remnants hanging in there, but they were a nuisance. What we did that was really effective was cover our bot with lexan. Its kinda expensive but REALLY strong and sturdy. I think its the stuff thta they make bullet proof glass out of… **

Yeah … but make sure it’s lexan/polycarb and not plexiglass/acrylic! Acrylic shatters really easily … I’ve learned from experiance! :slight_smile:

Haha, one of the design criteria for TOBOR VI was that it had to be able to run, full speed, into a brick wall ten times. The team laughed until they realized that we were serious … :yikes:

• Katie

I would say Spam, but I imagine that everyone is sick of that…oops :slight_smile:

Foam insulation for pipes would be easier to find than foam noodle pool toys.