Maverick: Cedar Point's New Coaster for 2007

It’s official, Cedar Point’s new coaster for 2007 will be called Maverick!

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com

Maverick will be unique in that it will have a ‘lift hill’, but it will not use chains or cables, like most conventional coasters. It will use a Linear synchronous motor launching system to propel the train up the 105’ hill, then down a 95 degree drop! That’s past vertical people!
All the Stats

Personally, I can’t wait for May 2007. :smiley:

105 feet? have they finally maxed out on the nosebleed wars?

whats the highest one at Cedar Point now, something like 550 ft?

I do like the idea of multiple linear motor accelerators. Ive would like to see a roller coaster at a park someday, that goes around and through the entire park.

If they did it right, instead of going up and down hills, it would be like flying around the park in a 2 seater jet plane. That would be an awesome ride.

Cedar Point’s tallest and fastest, Top Thrill Dragster, is 420’ tall and hits a top speed of 120 mph.
This coaster goes in a different direction obviously. Maverick is intended to appeal to a larger audience than the mega fast/tall coasters.

And I think that there is actually a law now prohibiting the construction of new coasters over 400’ tall in the US. TTD was built before the law went into affect.
EDIT: I was incorrect about the law.

There’s no law against structures over 400’. Construction of these rides is subject to approval of local planning boards, typically because all roller coasters exceed the limit imposed by code and must have an approved variance. Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ, in addition to being an awful ride, is taller than Top Thrill Dragster.

Maverick looks dull. Maybe it’ll be fun, but I’m not so much a fan of turns.

Also, California Screamin’ uses Linear Induction Motors (LIMs), not Linear Synchronous Motors (LSMs) – unless those are brakes that I’m thinking of. Hrm.

I am SOOOO there!!! :smiley:

Dude!
It opens in May!! Yayyyy

You got it right California Screamin’ uses LIM’s. There are currently only 5 coasters that use LSM’s, most notably Superman the Escape at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at Disney.

There are other roller coasters that go past 90 degrees. In fact, there is one that has a 97 degree drop.