Max neo motor lift

Our team is planning to try and get to the level 3 hab by having our elevator lift our robot up. How much weight do you think a neo motor could lift? Are there any better motors for lifting out there?

We use am NEO on our rear lift and it works great. It replaced a CIM to save weight.

Did a single one lift your entire robot?

If it can lift a robot all depends on how you gear it. You can use the JVN Calculator to see what kind of gearing you would need. Currently it probably is the best option for lifting a robot because of the weight of it compared to a CIM. Everything depends on how you gear it, and how much space you have.

No but it easily could. According to the JVN calculator our gearing could lift over 300 lbs. Properly geared it could lift many robots at once.

Thank you

Neos are pretty good because they are light and can produce a lot of torque. We are using 2 Neos on our back lifters geared 1:50 and 2 Neos on our elevator geared 1:10 to climb. Itis working fast and beautifully, only about 10sec to climb

This isn’t the right question. Given the proper gear ratio and enough time, any motor could lift any load. You need to understand the effective gear ratio of your system as well as the sprocket / pulley diameter, etc. in order to try and figure this problem out. What information do you know about your elevator’s powertrain other than the model of motor?

Pretty much any legal FRC motor can lift your robots weight, if you willing to make the lift slower. I think the question you want to ask is “how long will it take for a NEO to lift our robot”.

You can use JVN to calculate this time. You can also quickly do the calculations in your head if you just want a rough estimate. You want to lift 150 lbs, 2 feet, so 300 ft-lbs of work. The NEO has a peak output power of 400W, which is converts to 300 ft-lbs per second. Therefore, at peak power the NEO is capable of lifting your robot in 1 second. More realistically, it is possible to lift your robot with 1 NEO in two seconds.

However, if you are planning to use your existing elevator, you are probably geared for speed, so you won’t have the necessary force to lift your robot. What is the current gearing of your system? If you are planning to using an existing elevator, then you will probably either have to use a shifting gearbox (complicated, heavy, and expensive) or throw more motors at the problem.

I know we have a 12:1 gear ratio and if I am using the JVN calculator right, 2 neo motors should be able to lift the entire robot.

I am planning to put another neo motor on the other side to lift the robot faster. The lift uses a Banebots p80 Gearbox that has a 12:1 ratio.

Hmmm…we are aiming for two seconds. I guess we each have our own idea of what “fast” means

Does your inner stage move at twice the rate of your outer stage, or at the same rate?
On your existing gearbox, you have a final drive wheel or gear; What is the diameter of that element?

The inner stage moves at the same rate of the outer stage and the diameter of the gear is 3 inches.

That looks kinda similar to my teams robot :joy:.

We got to our local regional and there was a robot that was the identical twin of ours. Would have loved to make an alliance with two exact same bots.

This is neither meant to encourage nor discourage!

My take on your numbers is that 2 NEOs on your present setup will indeed hold up a robot. While holding a lifted position, draw on the battery will be ~40 Amps.

Getting there is a different story. I expect that the lift is going to take 3 or more seconds. For most of the motion. This will be a slow lift with the motor operating close to stall. This is not a good place to operate motors, as a rule; perhaps good enough for your situation. Make sure that you have a current limit on the NEO drive - probably 35 Amps, or so.

You might also want to look at the ratings of the gearbox to assure that it can handle the load.