MD State Fair

My team is considering traveling to the NASA event at the MD State Fair this fall. Would anyone who has ever seen it or attended post as much information about it as they can. Thanks!

All the info for the fair is available here: http://web547.gsfc.nasa.gov/first/2002_MD_State_Fair/2002_md_state_fair.html

This is the second year we are doing this. We had a blast last year, 11 teams came and it was a huge success. The way it works is that the first 8 days we have all the competeing robots on display and run dmeos to the crowd throughout the days. Teams do not have to be there those days but their robots do. The last 3 days (labor day weekend) we run a full competition. This year we have a bigger tent and a better location. All teams attending will get about $500 for showing up, and you can win more (last year we gave away almost $18,000 in cash to teams and scholarships). There is a $250 entry fee due to Mike Wade at NASA GSFC ASAP, (as of almost 2 weeks ago there were 16 teams already signed up with 24 spots available) registration is first come first serve. On top of this, we are also giving away scholarships to students and the deadline and information is on the website.

I’ll be there for the entire competition and for some of the days leading into the event. If you have any questions e-mail Mike or myself.

Steve

Do most teams have people present during the week for demos? Do teams bring a lot of people or is it usually just a few select members and the drive team? Do you get a lot of publicity? Any chances of picking up a sponsor? Is it an overall good competition to attend? Any other input/details for the good of persuading the team to attend?

Last year all of the schools from counties where the schools were not in session had students at the Fair on and off throughout the week from the MD teams. This year it will be a little different since i know at least one of the counties is in school during the demo days. I also know some of Team 7’s engineers are there in and out during the demo days since many work up the street from the fairgrounds.

Teams last year brought any number of people…but most brought the entire team.

500,000 people walked through the gates last year, Ch 11 (NBC) did a live broadcast of the event on one of their noon newscasts, and Ch 13 (CBS) did a story on Team 7. I assume that we will get some media coverage again this year.

All of the local teams last year that had people in and out picked up sponsors. I don’t know how that will work for your team since you are farther away, but you never know.

We already have more teams than last year and I know 5 of the 16 won a regional event so it will be very competitive this year.

We tend to be a little more laid back because this is for fun. You will definantly get a chance to meet a lot of teams that are not in your area since we mix the pits up and most likely will get a chance to take a crack at 7 again :slight_smile:

I think that answers all your questions

Steve

Thanks for all of the info. I know myself, along with the rest of our floor team would love to take 7 on again! We will be sure to put on an interesting match if we meet up again!:smiley:

It’s official! Team 84 will be attending the MD State Fair. Would anyone else out there feel like sharing information with me about their teams that are planning on attending? It would be most useful from the teams that I haven’t met up with yet. Thanks!

Just as a bit of an inclusion of information, the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post also covered last years event. We will be in a better location this year so it should mean that there’s even more traffic. Last year a good number of people were around watching at various times. I found it a fun event and I was refing. :wink:

Matt

Any suggestions on cheap places for accomidations for a small group of people? All other travel information will be appreciated! We are really using the $500 for travel, only travel, and only $500. We have no more money!!!

Team 102 is interested in attending the MD State Fair. Is there a list of teams that are already signed up? This sounds like a good competition.

121, the beast from the northeast, is considering going. We still need to pay off our debt for florida. After winning 4 out of 6 comps this year, and seeding no lower than 4th, i think we have a great chance of seeding well.

Right Now we have 19 teams signed up:

We only have 5 more slots open.
I will also check on the hotel stuff too.

Steve

102 - I hope you guys take the state fair into consideration. You put on a good show, and I know that we would like a chance to battle it out with you again. There may even be the possibility of a tough 'bots alliance who put on a good show at MidAtlantics!:smiley:

to reserve a spot for the competition, do we need to pay first. please answer soon, i would really like to know. thanks in advance.

271 would also like to go.

How many places are still available? We’re still unsure about going, but we should know in a few days. I hope spots are still open, I’d really like to attend.

How many places are still available? We’re still unsure about going, but we should know in a few days. I hope spots are still open, I’d really like to attend.

I’m sorry to say, but the fair is full… the complete team list is below:

I look forward to seeing all these teams in a couple months!

Steve

Now that the list has been finalized - would anyone on here be willing to answer questions about their team before we go? Our team is only taking the drive team, so I must scout all of the teams myself!:frowning: So, If anyone is willing to share info, let me know and I will post some questions on the forums. I will be more than willing to share about our team.

sure! here’s a pic of our 'bot (in a match, we’re dumping balls into the goal). We have 4 wheel drive, we load up balls in the basket w/ human player (can pick from floor, but not too well), and grab 2 goals. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Stephen

Hey! Sorry it took me so long, but I finally got around to posting a pre-scouting form. If everyone who is going would be willing to reply to this, then all teams could access it at a later date. It won’t take to much time, and if you don’t want to do it, give me a contact of someone on your team, and I will get ahold of them. Also, if you know any contacts for teams that may not be on the forums, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:smiley:

P.S. I will post the information that I asked you for about my team just below this post. Thanks again!

Team Name ______________________
Team Number________

Are you a(n):
____ Advisor ____Engineer ____Student

Drive System:
2-wheel 4-wheel other

Goal Controlling:
____1 goal ____2 goals ____3 goals ____none

How?

Ball Handling:
How many?
Fast, slow, or average?