Mechanical

Ok, per the idea at http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=172806#post172806 I started a few threads that people can contribute to… this is one, because the main thread is so filled with ideas and stuff but… its sooo long! No organization. This is an attempt to bring that organization to the project. Maybe I’ll post something here too. Oh well, post away!

The 2003 Off-Road Fest is next Sunday, June 8 at the Ontario Convention Center in California. http://www.4wheelparts.com/offroadfestival.asp

I know M.Krass and others worry about building a Truck that will make the trip, and it probably looks like I down play this part of
the project.
This is not true, I just worry less about this part because of all the real world experience in this part of the country,

Off roading is a Day-in Day-out pastime around here.

Plenty of experience to tap, from week-enders to Pros.

Getting Pictures of the last 2 projects is turning out to be harder then I thought,
Their too busy PLAYING! I’ll keep working on it.
I will get some pictures of some test areas posted.

No matter how good a truck you build if you hit a rock at 30MPH
you will flatten a tire or Tear the A frame out!

Thats why I emphasize sensors & navigation

Thats also why I think we will end up building TWO Trucks
THE Test Truck is going to be HAMMERED and TRASHED!
just to get the programing thru the learning curve,

Oh, BY the way, do we really need a 4WD for a test platform?
Could we start with a 2WD?..AS a TEST PLATFORM

Work out Navagation.& Sensor Problems (use dirt roads, run a set course,
return to start?) that sort of thing?

If so…I have 2 beater Datsun P.U. that we could use…

Geo.

PS See other Posts

I think a two wheel drive prototype would be a great start. Except in very rough terrain the handling will be similar. Even with two identical vehicles we will probably have to make some tweaks of the sort we will need to go between 2WD and 4WD.

We gotta learn to go down the street before we start around the world.

BTW for those of you who are not familiar with Southwestern geography, Kingman AZ, where George lives, is in the same sort of country the challenge has to cross. He can literally test in his backyard (if it’s big enough :wink: ).

*Originally posted by George *
**Oh, BY the way, do we really need a 4WD for a test platform?
Could we start with a 2WD?..AS a TEST PLATFORM

If so…I have 2 beater Datsun P.U. that we could use…
I think the handling would be significantly different from 2wd to 4wd. As for the Datsun, it would be alright to play arouind with but definitely not good enough fror the competition. There aren’t many upgrades available and the engine is not powerful enough. But that’s most Datsuns; yours may be different…

Hi,
They are just old junk trucks, 1600cc 4spd,
one was for parts but could be used, maybe converted to auto,
I think they would make a good test bed…NOT my choice for the race.
they hold up good at 4ft of air, at 8ft you break things…
No time to day gotta go.
Geo.