Michigan Tech Robot, FRC Style Control System, Java Assistance Requested

Hello All!

I am a student at Michigan Technological University, on the Mining INnovations Enterprise, which is competing in NASA RMC: Lunabotics.

As the title suggests, we are using an FRC Style Control System i.e. RoboRIO, PDP, 3 SPARK MAXs, Talon SRX, Victor SPX, NEO Motors, CIM Motors, etc. I was in FRC for seven years, the final of which I was the programming mentor on my team. My team utilized LabVIEW as our programming language, which eludes to my question.

Now, with all of that out of the way, comes our problem. I know how to set up the control system (Phoenix Tuner, format roboRIO, update motor controllers, etc.). However, I am unsure as to how to set up the RoboRIO to use Java. I have done it once before, but that was a rather long time ago (~3-4 years).

I looked online for some guides on how to do this, but I was unable to find a step-by-step guide on how to specifically set up a RoboRIO for Java. Would anyone be able to point us to one, or be willing to walk me or another one of our programmers through the process?

Us LabVIEW users have it easy, it’s basically done for us.

We have several programmers fluent in Java, and I have in-depth experience with the FRC API(I can read in Java, programming is a different story.) So we have the ability to code, just this interim step between writing code and testing it has us stuck.

Also a shameless plug, as a once FRC student now adult, it’s really nice to be able to go from one area (FRC) to another (MTU) and be using the same electrical system in both, so any FRC students that are interested in that sort of thing should come to MTU so we can geek out about Control Systems :stuck_out_tongue: . I was surprised when I didn’t meet many people familiar with control systems.

WPILib has made some changes since the last time you did FRC programming, so you should just be able to deploy code as long as you have the latest image installed. Installing Java manually isn’t something you need to do anymore.

1 Like

You can start here with the most recent documentation. Everything you need to get started should be on this page.

https://docs.wpilib.org/en/latest/index.html

As boobysq mentioned you don’t have to load java onto the rio anymore, but you do need to update to the latest firmware. This guide will walk you through it.
https://docs.wpilib.org/en/latest/docs/getting-started/getting-started-frc-control-system/imaging-your-roborio.html

Once you have that done, you should be able to move onto to example code. If your programmers are familiar with java, they should be able to figure this out.
https://docs.wpilib.org/en/latest/docs/getting-started/running-a-benchtop/creating-benchtop-test-program-cpp-java.html

I think the posters above cover it pretty well, I just wanted to add that I’m one of the programming mentors with 857 (in Houghton), so if it weren’t for the coronavirus…

So, are you still physically meeting for enterprise work?

Do you have VS Code setup? Do you have the third-party vendor libraries installed?