Minor Protrusions and the frame perimeter

In previous years, minor protrusions were exempted from the frame perimeter only in the BUMPER ZONE as noted here:
“FRAME PERIMETER – the polygon defined by the outer-most set of exterior vertices on the HOSTBOT (without the BUMPERS attached) that are within the BUMPER ZONE.” Bolts and screws and other similar items are not counted–this is to facilitate tight bumper-frame connections.

This year, it would appear that they have eased up as the rule in this years manual now read:
[R01-2]

The Robot must have a Frame Perimeter that is comprised of fixed, non-articulated structural elements of the Robot. The Frame Perimeter of a Robot is defined by the outer-most set of exterior vertices on the Robot that are within the Bumper Zone, which is between 2 and 10 in. from the floor. Minor protrusions no greater than ¼ in. such as bolt heads, fastener ends, and rivets are not considered part of the Frame Perimeter.

To determine the Frame Perimeter, wrap a piece of string around the Robot at the level described in [R02]. The string describes this polygon.

Note: to permit a simplified definition of the Frame Perimeter and encourage a tight, robust connection between the Bumpers and the Frame Perimeter, minor protrusions such as bolt heads, fastener ends, rivets, etc are excluded from the determination of the Frame Perimeter.

Does this mean the protrusions can be out of the bumper zone? Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like it is this way. It also makes things easier for those rookies out there!

[R02]-E reads:

“no other part of the Robot may extend beyond the vertical projection of the Frame Perimeter (with the exception of minor protrusions permitted per [R01-2])”

I have spent quite a bit of time since kickoff trying to interpret this particular line of the rules. And I still can’t give a good answer to your question. Does the exception line apply specifically only to the protrusions in the bumper zone? Or does it apply in general to the whole robot? I’m hoping we get clarification on this particular item from the GDC in the near future.

Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone!
I also want to thank you for your help other years, your MN SPLASH seminar about inspection taught me so much! You also pointed out this same flaw early in 2010 during the practice day morning! BTW this means you have a fan! :smiley:

Just a note of caution about protruding bolt heads, etc. If it is decided that they may protrude beyond the robot at any point (within or without the bumper zone), remember that they may not protrude beyond the maximum size of 28 by 38 in. In other words, don’t come for inspection with a 28 by 38 frame and try to tell the inspectors that protruding heads are allowed! Those babies have to be within the maximum limits of the robot.

Dr. Bob

Chairman’s Award is not about building the robot. Every team builds a robot.

Which is precisely why we build the robot under size by a minimum of 1" every year! Also why the kitbot it 27x37

Anyone know if this has been asked on Q&A in any way, shape, or form?