Modular Designs

Posted by Ellery at 2/12/2001 12:33 PM EST

Engineer on team #191, X-CATS, from Joseph C. Wilson High School, Rochester NY and Xerox Corporation.

Hi all!

Got a quick question… Are any teams looking at the Modular design which is allowed this year? Though the initial weigh in must incorporate all parts but having a modular interchangeable system for specific strategies comes in handy.

Just a thought - CRUNCH TIME is here good luck to you all. I know we all have similar concerns this time of year.

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/12/2001 1:43 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Modular Designs
Posted by Ellery on 2/12/2001 12:33 PM EST:

We are trying to go modular… but we may have to give up some modularity due to some obesity (over weight).

Maybe we should have our robot walk to Subway every day… yeah, that would do it!

Andy B.

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 2/12/2001 4:28 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: We are, but we may be giving into the weight crunch
Posted by Andy Baker on 2/12/2001 1:43 PM EST:

Well Team 57 is going with a modular design, mainly seperate manipulators for big and small balls, and a limbo option if we use neither. But I’m concerned about this talk about weight. The way I’ve understood it, modularity would help decrease weight. According to Q12, Update 3, different configurations get weighed seperately. so as long as all your modules can’t be used at once, you don’t have to weigh in with all of them on the robot…

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 2/12/2001 4:28 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: We are, but we may be giving into the weight crunch
Posted by Andy Baker on 2/12/2001 1:43 PM EST:

Well Team 57 is going with a modular design, mainly seperate manipulators for big and small balls, and a limbo option if we use neither. But I’m concerned about this talk about weight. The way I’ve understood it, modularity would help decrease weight. According to Q12, Update 3, different configurations get weighed seperately. so as long as all your modules can’t be used at once, you don’t have to weigh in with all of them on the robot…

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/12/2001 10:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Weight?
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 2/12/2001 4:28 PM EST:

Yep, you’re right. That is a nice rule change for this year. But, the fasteners needed in order to quick-change modular sub-assemblies seem to be heavier than fasteners that are permanently holding things in place.

At least that is where we are coming from… any way you look at it, we’re over weight.

Andy B.

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/13/2001 4:28 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Yes, you’re right
Posted by Andy Baker on 2/12/2001 10:36 PM EST:

Sounds like this year’s “TechnoTank” or whatever the name of you robot is going to have a hand full of surprises… Drive train that goes under the bar, different components waiting to be on the robot, and all of them over-weight because there are so many good things in them…

Hey Andy, when are you going to show us your robots? It’s getting near shipping now, and we all can’t wait to see what it looks like.

As for the weight problem, I guess it’s time for cheese holes again, huh? Maybe you might endup selecting a component and never have to change it off againt.

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/14/2001 2:09 AM EST

In Reply to: revealing the robot soon?
Posted by Ken Leung on 2/13/2001 4:28 AM EST:

We’ll have more pics soon.

We lost our weight. No cheesey holes for us! We just scrapped our ball lift mechanism and made a lighter one.

I think that we lost 11 lbs., so we are 5 under now.

That may give us some room for fancy lights and stuff.

Andy B.