modules for RC PLANE

Hey guys i need help regarding modules… me and my friends have built a rc controlled plane which is pretty gud at fluing and also can carry a payload of 5 kgs with 10 cc engine… but the problem is there is no avionics onto the plane… like sensors and modules for stabalising plane while cruising… i mean for sudden change in wind may take our plane down … so i need help lik… sensors or readymade modules which are good at it…

What’s your price range? Cloudcap and Micropilot make autopilot modules for UAVs that will definitely keep a plane in the air, but they’re very expensive (thousands of US dollars).

On the much lower end of the cost scale, there are infrared units that track the horizon, and will try to keep the plane level, by mixing the pitch and roll controls. (I’d estimate this would cost around $150 USD.)

As a sort of medium-cost option (several hundred US dollars), something like the Innovation First Mini-RC controller could be used to interpret the control inputs from your radio receiver, and mix them with sensor inputs from accelerometers, compass sensors, etc. to prevent sudden motions. This will require a lot of programming, and certainly wouldn’t be easy.

But here’s the big catch, however you do it: if I recall correctly, India’s Air Ministry is very strict about its regulations for unmanned aerial vehicles. Make sure that you’re not doing anything against their rules. A number of Indian university-based competitiors in the International Aerial Robotics Competition have suffered because they weren’t allowed to test their aircraft freely.

Overall, unless you’ve got access to significant amounts of money, and have the time to build and integrate sensors, you probably would be better served by just watching it closely when it flies, and learning to fly it better. See if you can track down an experienced model plane pilot in your area who can give you some lessons.

Also, this forum is generally dedicated to the FIRST Robotics Competition. Your questions are certainly welcome, but be aware that many topics on this site are specific to the hardware used in FIRST.

By any chance, is this airplane built for the SAE Aero Design Competition? If so, which class?

I would use something like a basic stamp and acceleratometers. One meter in each wing to sense large, sudden changes in acceleration that were not given by the controller. With the two axis ones from parallax, you could also stop the plane from stalling and dropping suddenly. Stamps and their parts are cheap, light, and easy to program. They use a port of basic. I have a BS2 that I am going to use in a submarine eventually.

No offense, but a mini FRC is a lot more expensive and heavier. They also require the MCC18 compiler or something similar, where as the stamp’s programmer is free from Parallax.

Good luck

I have a brand new gyro autopilot for sale.
It has an on board gyro that keeps and plane flying straight and level and a barometric pressure sensor that can sense if the plane is going up or down.
When set up correctly the plane will take off on it’s own and fly straight. Just give it full throttle and step back.
You can also turn it off/on from the transmitter. You can put the plane in a full blown, straight down spiral, hit the swith and the plane will level out on it’s own.

Check this out…