More fancy autonomous

currently I am doing simple autonomous by stringing together various commands for example I could do: move elevator up, move arm out, open claw, drive backwards, drive forwards, balance and that would score, get the movement bonus and balance. This will defiantly work for simple autos but the most complicated I can do is the score balance example or maybe a 2 piece auto. This leads to some more questions.

• where can I find examples for path planner and/or path weaver useage
  • should I go for path planner or path weaver?
  • what might you be doing wrong to make sysid not work I ran into this last year and I have no clue what my problem was.
  • are there any other ways to make a faster auto?
  • what’s the largest auto I should try to do with a tank drive robot?

also here’s our code repo: here
I’m using java.
let me know if I should provide any more info

• pathplanner’s github has examples
  • elaborate?
  • I havent used sysID personally, what are you trying to tune?
  • use your time efficiently, can you move your arm while driving?
  • as good as you can get it. 971 has 3 element + balance with a tank drive. A reasonable goal is probably 2 ele + balance

I would recommend working your way through the kinematics and odometry section of the WPILib documentation. Having good odometry is critical to making trajectory following work and would be a good place to start looking at your codebas. Once you have odometry that is working well, it is not difficult to use the RamseteController to follow trajectories from either PathPlanner or PathWeaver.

1 Like
  • pathplanner’s github has examples
  • elaborate?
  • I havent used sysID personally, what are you trying to tune?
  • use your time efficiently, can you move your arm while driving?
  • as good as you can get it. 971 has 3 element + balance with a tank drive. A reasonable goal is probably 2 ele + balance

I can look into path planner’s github. as for the second one I was asking if I should use path planner or path weaver. Setting up the ramsete command requires quite a lot of constants that you can get from sysID. As long as I’m not turning really fast my arm can move while driving.

I would recommend working your way through the kinematics and odometry section of the WPILib documentation. Having good odometry is critical to making trajectory following work and would be a good place to start looking at your codebas.

I have read the odomety section and at least skimmed the kinematics. is there other config stuff I should do for odometry or just give it accurate values?

Use path planner, it is a lot easier and nicer to use, and it essentially does the same thing, but better.

As long as you aren’t using vision for pose estimation, then that is all you need for odometry.

technically I could use vision for that as I have a photon camera but unless I need accurate field measurements when going over charge station I probably won’t use it.

Use SysID, it is a lot easier than trying to tune them yourself.