Motor Mounts

Posted by Will Korinek at 1/23/2001 9:37 AM EST

Student on team #646, Mechanical Animals, from Sayville High School and Computer Associates.

Does anybody know if it is illegal to use modified muffler clamps to mount the motors to the frame??

Thanks,
Will Korinek
Team 646 Sayville Mechanical Animals

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/23/2001 10:28 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Motor Mounts
Posted by Will Korinek on 1/23/2001 9:37 AM EST:

Will,

No, you can’t legally grab a muffler clamp and modify it to mount your motor.

But, you can use approved materials (on Additional Hardware List or out of Small Parts, Inc.) to make your own clamps that look just like the muffler clamps.

Good luck,
Andy B.

Posted by ChrisH at 1/23/2001 1:31 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach 'Bots, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA JPL, J & F Machine, Raytheon, et al.

In Reply to: No, but you can copy the design
Posted by Andy Baker on 1/23/2001 10:28 AM EST:

Actually, it may be that you can. If it’s a fastener it’s on the additional hardware list and is unlimited. As I recall if it holds two or more parts in FIXED relation to one another, it’s a fastener. But I’d check with one of the technical reps at FIRST before I based my robot around it.

You’d be suprised what can be a fastener!

Chris Husmann,PE
Team 330 the Beach’Bots

: Will,

: No, you can’t legally grab a muffler clamp and modify it to mount your motor.

: But, you can use approved materials (on Additional Hardware List or out of Small Parts, Inc.) to make your own clamps that look just like the muffler clamps.

: Good luck,
: Andy B.

Posted by Nate Smith at 1/24/2001 11:35 AM EST

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Re: No, but you can copy the design
Posted by ChrisH on 1/23/2001 1:31 PM EST:

: Actually, it may be that you can. If it’s a fastener it’s on the additional hardware list and is unlimited. As I recall if it holds two or more parts in FIXED relation to one another, it’s a fastener. But I’d check with one of the technical reps at FIRST before I based my robot around it.

: You’d be suprised what can be a fastener!

: Chris Husmann,PE
: Team 330 the Beach’Bots

: : Will,

: : No, you can’t legally grab a muffler clamp and modify it to mount your motor.

: : But, you can use approved materials (on Additional Hardware List or out of Small Parts, Inc.) to make your own clamps that look just like the muffler clamps.

: : Good luck,
: : Andy B.

I know of at least one machine that used this method of mounting the drill motors in '99…

Nate