much love to 65 and 240

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 4/30/2000 5:17 PM MST

Thank you 65 and 240 for being gracious enough to accept our proposal and play well with us! We love you guys and hope we get a chance to play with you again soon.

We got first place!

And congratulations to the Huskies on their first first place win. You’ll be seeing many more in the future!

W-A-L-~M-A-R-T!!!
(don’t ask!)

-Erin, Captain- Team 1 Juggernauts

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst.

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 4/30/2000 8:29 PM MST

In Reply to: much love to 65 and 240 posted by Erin on 4/30/2000 5:17 PM MST:

: Thank you 65 and 240 for being gracious enough to accept our proposal and play well with us! We love you guys and hope we get a chance to play with you again soon.

: We got first place!

: And congratulations to the Huskies on their first first place win. You’ll be seeing many more in the future!

: W-A-L-~M-A-R-T!!!
: (don’t ask!)

: -Erin, Captain- Team 1 Juggernauts

For those of you who weren’t there, let me try to descibe it from the vantage point of someone standing behind the team station…

It was the 2nd match of the final. It’s Juggernaut and the Huskies against the Beatty Beast and the Chief.

The Chief was troubled all day by repairs, and missed the first match. #393 (Morristown, IN team, my appologies for forgeting their nickname) although rookies, stood in for the Chief the first round, and with the Beast almost took it. Great effort 393! Believe me, they sure don’t LOOK like rookies.

2nd match. The Chief rolls in, and it’s going to be very tough to beat them and the Beast too. I would have thought that pair could have taken the nationals… At this point I decided the 2nd place trophy looked pretty good…

Match starts and panedomium breaks out… Beast goes for the far balls with Huskies, Chief and the Jug load from the station. But Jug, with just one black ball in it’s grip, doesn’t put it in - and it becomes evident the Jug is playing defense on the ramp. Beast comes up and after a close fight with Jug on one side and the Huskies on the other AMAZINGLY manages to get a hang, and then proceeds to do it’s trademark dump from the bar. Two yellow and a black. One tough bot.

Huskies have a small basket, and they used it to maximum effect, two yellows and black. Someone, I didn’t see who, makes one of those wonderful bounce passes from the player station and the Jug and the Huskies are one up. Huskies try to dislodge the Beast, but decide not to waste their time and perform a pretty hang, tucking up nicely.

All this time, the Jug and the Chief have been manuvering in front of the operator station, the Swerve vs. the Turret. The Chief has an edge in speed, and 6 balls to deliver, but the Jug has position and a fast moving arm… Seconds go by, back and forth and the Chief is literally dancing. One half second inattention by the Jug and it is all over… we are behind the screen screaming the countdown 16…15…14…13…12…

The Chief, true to it’s reputation as a fierce competitor never gave up for a second. It was beautiful to watch.

Thanks to Juggernaut and the Huskies. We were happy just to be there, and contribute what we could, even if it was tools, batteries and lung power.

Team 240 heartily congratulates everyone who participated in the IRI, and informs anyone wondering, that you missed a great meet. By (buy) the way, along with a whole day of hanging with the Hoosiers, which is pretty neat to do anytime, the crowning touch (and real down home Indiana kind of thinking) was the open fire grilled hotdogs for a buck. I gotta say, better than anything I ate at WDW.

Andy Baker and Tim Railey, you REALLY did it right.

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 5/1/2000 2:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: much love to 65 and 240 posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 4/30/2000 8:29 PM MST:

: By (buy) the way, along with a whole day of hanging
: with the Hoosiers, which is pretty neat to do
: anytime, the crowning touch (and real down home
: Indiana kind of thinking) was the open fire grilled
: hotdogs for a buck. I gotta say, better than anything
: I ate at WDW.

: Andy Baker and Tim Railey, you REALLY did it right.

Sam,

Thanks for your kind words. We ‘relish’ the fact that you enjoyed our dogs. Kudos go to Judy Harris (KHS teacher) and a slew of supportive TechnoKat parents… they really came through!

It was amazing that you guys (not just team 240, I’m sure) ate all of our food, even though we only gave you about a 1/2 hour for lunch. From what I heard, the burgers and dogs were flying off the grill!

One of the funniest moments was when a referee (Kim Gilbert, I think) was counting off a 10 second pin on one hand with a piece of pepperoni pizza in the other hand… Classic!

Andy B.

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/2/2000 1:45 PM MST

In Reply to: All food was gone!!! posted by Andy Baker on 5/1/2000 2:01 PM MST:

: One of the funniest moments was when a referee (Kim Gilbert, I think) was counting off a 10 second pin on one hand with a piece of pepperoni pizza in the other hand… Classic!

Not as visible as your story, but my own experience at WMRC last year comes to mind…because of various glitches in the scoring system we were using last year, we had to re-enter all of the match results in order to get the final rankings for elims…so, needless to say, that took up the majority of my lunch break, leaving me to eat during matches during elims. I don’t think I got that much of an opportunity to eat until finals…

Nate

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/1/2000 5:38 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: much love to 65 and 240 posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 4/30/2000 8:29 PM MST:

Great play-by-play! During that match, we failed the sprocket to Globe motor shaft connection (yes it was a loose setscrew) so our ball eat/poop roller (yes, its labeled ‘eat’ and ‘poop’ on the controls) stopped working. So, we played some (mostly ineffective) defense on #71 before going to hang.

I loved the part where Juggy was keeping #47 from getting close to the goal and the human players were having a shootout - what amazing shots!

I give a lot of credit to our drivers, BOTH of whom are freshman! freshpersons? Amy has been operator all season, but that was Jonathan’s first time driving in competition.

Ken

Posted by Mike McIntyre.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #1, Juggernaut, from Oakland Technical Center Northeast and 3 Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/1/2000 9:47 PM MST

Great play-by-play, Samuel: (I could hear Howard Cosell’s voice as I read your color commentary); for the record, Juggy did score its black ball in that last match before we started the tango with Chief Delphi; also, both our human player (James White) and the Huskies’ superstar made clutch shots in those waning seconds to seal the victory; finally, the Huskie chassis driver (Jonathan) and both of our coaches were experiencing their first tournament this year and experienced a Baptism by fire against such perennial powerhouses as Chief Delphi, Beatty, Hotbot, and Truck Town Terror, to name a few. Wow!

: : Thank you 65 and 240 for being gracious enough to accept our proposal and play well with us! We love you guys and hope we get a chance to play with you again soon.

: : We got first place!

: : And congratulations to the Huskies on their first first place win. You’ll be seeing many more in the future!

: : W-A-L-~M-A-R-T!!!
: : (don’t ask!)

: : -Erin, Captain- Team 1 Juggernauts

: For those of you who weren’t there, let me try to descibe it from the vantage point of someone standing behind the team station…

: It was the 2nd match of the final. It’s Juggernaut and the Huskies against the Beatty Beast and the Chief.

: The Chief was troubled all day by repairs, and missed the first match. #393 (Morristown, IN team, my appologies for forgeting their nickname) although rookies, stood in for the Chief the first round, and with the Beast almost took it. Great effort 393! Believe me, they sure don’t LOOK like rookies.

: 2nd match. The Chief rolls in, and it’s going to be very tough to beat them and the Beast too. I would have thought that pair could have taken the nationals… At this point I decided the 2nd place trophy looked pretty good…

: Match starts and panedomium breaks out… Beast goes for the far balls with Huskies, Chief and the Jug load from the station. But Jug, with just one black ball in it’s grip, doesn’t put it in - and it becomes evident the Jug is playing defense on the ramp. Beast comes up and after a close fight with Jug on one side and the Huskies on the other AMAZINGLY manages to get a hang, and then proceeds to do it’s trademark dump from the bar. Two yellow and a black. One tough bot.

: Huskies have a small basket, and they used it to maximum effect, two yellows and black. Someone, I didn’t see who, makes one of those wonderful bounce passes from the player station and the Jug and the Huskies are one up. Huskies try to dislodge the Beast, but decide not to waste their time and perform a pretty hang, tucking up nicely.

: All this time, the Jug and the Chief have been manuvering in front of the operator station, the Swerve vs. the Turret. The Chief has an edge in speed, and 6 balls to deliver, but the Jug has position and a fast moving arm… Seconds go by, back and forth and the Chief is literally dancing. One half second inattention by the Jug and it is all over… we are behind the screen screaming the countdown 16…15…14…13…12…
:
: The Chief, true to it’s reputation as a fierce competitor never gave up for a second. It was beautiful to watch.

: Thanks to Juggernaut and the Huskies. We were happy just to be there, and contribute what we could, even if it was tools, batteries and lung power.

: Team 240 heartily congratulates everyone who participated in the IRI, and informs anyone wondering, that you missed a great meet. By (buy) the way, along with a whole day of hanging with the Hoosiers, which is pretty neat to do anytime, the crowning touch (and real down home Indiana kind of thinking) was the open fire grilled hotdogs for a buck. I gotta say, better than anything I ate at WDW.

: Andy Baker and Tim Railey, you REALLY did it right.

Posted by Natalie.

Engineer on team #288, The RoboDawgs, from Grandville High School and X-Rite / Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/30/2000 8:48 PM MST

And what about those RoboDawgs Team 288 in their display of ‘Gracious Professionalism’ to Team #1, giving Team #1 the Heartbeat for their robot, RoboDawgs heart/battery for the final rounds. Team 288 feels like part of that winning Team. Thanks!

: Thank you 65 and 240 for being gracious enough to accept our proposal and play well with us! We love you guys and hope we get a chance to play with you again soon.

: We got first place!

: And congratulations to the Huskies on their first first place win. You’ll be seeing many more in the future!

: W-A-L-~M-A-R-T!!!
: (don’t ask!)

: -Erin, Captain- Team 1 Juggernauts

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/1/2000 4:27 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: much love to 65 and 240 posted by Natalie on 4/30/2000 8:48 PM MST:

Natalie-

I really didn’t know you guys helped us out that much (I was too busy screaming).

288-
Thank you for being there when we needed you or we wouldn’t have been there at all!

-Erin

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/1/2000 5:25 PM MST

Hey Erin-

Gracious enough?!? If you call jumping up and down and screaming our heads off gracious, okay… We were GEEKED enough, thats for sure! :))

What an alliance! We were SO glad you guys were in a position to pick us. Your machine is awesome, and you sure know how to use it. There were a few spots there where we (65) really didn’t hold up our end of the bargain (the reason we underperformed is simply because setscrews suck - you’d think we’d learn…), but you always took up our slack. Thanks for bringing us along!

It was a match made in … PONTIAC!!!

That ‘we got first place’ comment - we must have said that twenty times on the long drive home - s’been a long time coming for us! :))

Thanks, on behalf of the Huskie Brigade!
Ken

P.S. - thanks to our other ally #240, Visteon & Jefferson, for helping us with tools and a battery and strategy during eliminations too!